• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 96 is surging

D sanchez

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody.

I have a 96 XJ, Auto, 4wd. With 6" of lift and 33.12.50 15s.

I can start the jeep and begin driving it down the road, then after a couple of miles or so, I get a powerloss. If i put the pedal to the floor, it kicks down a gear and backfires allitle but does accelerate.

Then after returning home, I shut it down. 20 min later i start it up drive it a couple of blocks and no problem.

I have a check engine light on. I just havent pulled the codes yet (dont have a scan tool).

Any ideas? Thanks.

I have a check engine light on. I just havent pulled the codes yet (dont have a scan tool). Any ideas? Thanks.

Really could be a lot of things ranging from a fuel delivery problem to a sensor problem. Job #1 is to pull codes. Guessing is pretty inefficient and unwise when you may have the clue as a fault code sitting inside your computer. Find a shop that will pull the codes for you and post back what you find. Use the technology that your Jeep provides to you.

I was planning on running the scanner tomorow. But I ran some HEAT (water removal), and some injecter cleaner. And it seems to have fixed the problem.......So far anyway.

Ill run the scanner tomorow and go from there. Thanks:thumbup:

96 is OBD II right?? Do you have to get a scan to pull the code??? Cant you jump a connector and count the CEL flashes?? (I have a CEL too) If scan tool is the only way to go... Can I stop by say Advanced and get a scan?? And I think Im having the same issue as the OP... To OP: Does you Jeep seem to find a kinda "dead spot" at around 55 mph +- 3mph???? Mine seems too..

96 is obd2 u can use a scanner, make sure u check ur catalytic converter and make sure it isnt clogged, when it gets close to clogging surging and loss of power are the main hints, fuel pressure and volume from the pump are other problems jeeps give u

96 is obd2 u can use a scanner, make sure u check ur catalytic converter and make sure it isnt clogged, when it gets close to clogging surging and loss of power are the main hints, fuel pressure and volume from the pump are other problems jeeps give u

I know my problem isnt a clogged cat.. I just had it replaced from a recall a week ago... Now, some of the junk might have blown into my muffler then.. yeah might cause a problem..

Is a scanner the "only" way to pull a code???

My jeep has been sitting for awile. I suspect water in the gas. My problem is to intermittant for me to think it is mechanical. I know my o2 is probably out, and until tomorow (scanner), i can fix what the cpu tells me.

Yes my jeep is OBD2

It might just be coionsidental that the heat worked. Ill find out more later.

I know my problem isnt a clogged cat.. I just had it replaced from a recall a week ago... Now, some of the junk might have blown into my muffler then.. yeah might cause a problem..

Is a scanner the "only" way to pull a code???

If the muffler were plugged enough to cause driveability problems, it would be easy to check-- take it out on the innerstate for about 5-10 minutes and get it up to speed. Push it hard (within reason) and immediately pull to the side and inspect the exhaust. If it is glowing red, it's plugged at the rear-most red part.

Try the key-on, key off procedure for pulling codes; I think it works for a 96.

Start by turning the ignition key to the last stop before it starts, on and off four times within 5 seconds ending in the on position on the fourth time, ( on, off, on, off, on, off then on and leave ), The check engine light will start to flash quickly with a small pause in between then a medium pause to indicate the next number in the to digit number and then a long pause before the next set of flashing for the next code. If you have no fault codes, you will get a code 55 (normal end code) which would read like this: 5 fast flashes, medium pause then another 5 flashes.

OK using that method (thanks allot BTW) Im getting a 3356 code.

Where can i get the code info? Thanks for the help.

Well after using my friends scanner it turns out to be an O2 censor. But my surging issue seems to come from water in the gas.

Back