• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

e-fan won't come on an i just put in a new one PLEASE HELP!!!

rubyred98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Well as title says my e-fan was not coming on so i though i was bad went an bought a brand new one an still does not come on with the temp. at 210 or when i put it on a/c. But the a/c comp. cluth don't turn either an i don't have the a/c filled either what could be the problem please help i'm overheating when 4x4ing could it be a relay if so where is it PLEASE HELP!!:eek::tears::tears::eek:

Your problem seems to be a lack of punctuation, spelling and capitalization.

Always include in your posts the year of your Cherokee, the engine size, the transmission type and transfer case types. The correct answer to many questions/problems varies by year and optional equipment.

Did you test the old fan ? Did check the wires to see if you get power to the new fan ? Did you check the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing ? Did you check the fan relay ? The fan turns on at about 215* - 218*. The A/C clutch won't engage if the refrigerant level is low.

If you are overheating, suspect a bad radiator cap, a bad thermostat, a failed mechanical fan clutch, air in the coolant system, a clogged radiator, or rarely a head gasket leak.

Last edited:
I checked the old one an it was bad so i thought it would be that. I only overheat when 4x4ing. I drive it everyday an does good it's just never overheats it's just when I 4x4. An the year is a 1998 w/ a 4.0 engine w/ 231 tranfer case THANKS FOR RESPONDING FAST!! An no i didn't check relay where would it be.

Last edited:
Did some more searching an someone said to go out an pull off the thermostat housing plug off an the fan should come on as well as a check engine light. Well the check engine light came on but the fan did not so i checked to see if i was getting electric to the fan an im not getting any. So then someone said to check an see if the fuse #11 was blowed in the fuse box in the cab. an it is not it's still good. So what do you guys think it could be.

Your relay is probably shot.

Simply switch it out with another one and it'll probably work again. I think there are other ones in the engine bay that are the exact same time you could just swap.

fuse is a 40A in the black box by the battery under the hood. Check that first. Next, if your A/C isn't charged, your compressor clutch will not kick on, and your fan will not kick on.

And just b/c the temp. is at 210 doesn't mean the e-fan will run. My xj runs continously at 210, but with only the mech. fan. The e-fan will only come on every now and then to cool things down a bit.

You could always just hook the fan up directly to the battery to make sure the fan is working.

The e-fan should come on w/ cts unplugged regardless if the a/c is working or not--it is a safe protection against overheating w/ unknown temps. One of my projects today is to control that fan by providing a switchable ground for that e-fan relay(the pcm provides ground when the temp gets up there and/or the compressor is engaged). I'm running a dual e-fan setup and don't like waiting 20+* over 210 for it to kick on or turn on the defrost when I'm in the stop and stop city driving. Anyhow if the fuse is good and relay is good, then it's time to start checking the continuity of the wires. Hopefully it won't come down to the pcm not providing that switched ground. If so, then you might have to do what I'm doing today. I'll put up a new post since others are interested in controlling that fan and go through big lengths when they can use the existing wiring save for a switchable ground.

The e-fan should come on w/ cts unplugged regardless if the a/c is working or not--it is a safe protection against overheating w/ unknown temps. One of my projects today is to control that fan by providing a switchable ground for that e-fan relay(the pcm provides ground when the temp gets up there and/or the compressor is engaged). I'm running a dual e-fan setup and don't like waiting 20+* over 210 for it to kick on or turn on the defrost when I'm in the stop and stop city driving. Anyhow if the fuse is good and relay is good, then it's time to start checking the continuity of the wires. Hopefully it won't come down to the pcm not providing that switched ground. If so, then you might have to do what I'm doing today. I'll put up a new post since others are interested in controlling that fan and go through big lengths when they can use the existing wiring save for a switchable ground.

I disagree. My e-fan never came on when the refrigerant level in my comrpressor was low, regardless of removing that sensor.

You need to get some refrigerant in that compressor. You can unplug the compressor, and then you won't have the issue. You also then can get the e-fan to turn on by turning your a/c on.

My AC doesn't work due to refrigerant leak, but the efan still comes on. That is not a factor.

Once the refrigerant gets below the cut off point it does not work

Try as I might I never got the efan to come on when my a/c was shot, except for when i pulled the plug from the back of the compressor.

on my 99 i use my ac compressor as OBA, no r134a in the system, the reason i did this because i had a huge leak in the ac systems and it would not hold any refrigerant. fan comes on no matter what above 210. relay is my vote

x2 with what islanderoffroad, the e fan in my 94 would not come on until i bypassed the low switch on the a/c, after i fillted the a/c system it worked like it was suppose to until it leaked out and the refrigerant was low

Thanks guys for the information just an update the fan comes on when i put it to the battery it better it's brand new lol!!! So i checked to see if i was getting electric from the plug that goes to the fan an no juice. So i'm going to go buy a relay tomorrow morning see if that helps an my a/c some r134a in it it's in the green when i checked it i know it's not in the blue where it's suposed to be an another ? if i unplug the a/c comp. my efan should work then right or no! An oh i checked my fuses in the cabin an outside behide the battery an there all good.

Back