• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless people: Speakers in kick panel

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Its kindof a weird time to ask about doorless mods, but i got a new radio and and working on putting it in. I was also going to mount some new speakers in the kick panel so i have tunes up front without the doors. I know ive seen this done. Anybody care to share how they did theirs?

I bought a set and used them for a while until I got tired of the left one being so close to the clutch pedal(I don't recommend the left one for manual ts). The imaging from them are great and they don't affect changing fuses and opening the hood release. I have a set laying around minus at least one grill(from foot rubbing on it; some 5.25 grills might fit in there).

I bought a set and used them for a while until I got tired of the left one being so close to the clutch pedal(I don't recommend the left one for manual ts). The imaging from them are great and they don't affect changing fuses and opening the hood release. I have a set laying around minus at least one grill(from foot rubbing on it; some 5.25 grills might fit in there).

How do you get to the fuses?

i just did the pass side. barely fits, but it does the job. absolutely no room on the driverside. to fit any decent size speaker. mine is a trail rig so i only put cheap stuff in it so if it gets kicked, or wet, etc... no big deal.
100_0974.jpg

I just used the sound bar from a later model Xj and moved it up behind the front seats. Works fine for me. I even got another so when I redo the MJ headliner I can try to get it to fit.

I really like WrenchMonkeys set up. I might try it just to get more sound up front, and it looks cool.I would need a grille though so i dont break them. No carpet=loud.
So, could you PM me how you did it? Are they seperate drom the door speakers or do they use the same wires?

I wired em straight to the head unit, and eliminated the stock leads altogether.

Robert

I did a write up on putting speakers in the kick panels some time ago, but that was in a 1985 XJ. You have fuses behind your drivers side kick panel, it won't work.

Also, I was getting ready to do this on my MJ, and my E-brake is down there.:smsoap:

I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but has anyone thought of putting their speakers where the TJs have them. In the dash just to the side of the glovebox and on the same panel on the driver side?

I'm going to check that out when I get home.

I ended up doing 4x6 speakers in the kick panels and extending the lower dash speaker wires. The drivers side wiring is hard to work around and there was some hardware there that I had to chop out but everything fits fine and it works okay when the doors are off.

4x6_kick_speakers_marked.sized.jpg

4x6_kick_speakers_installed.sized.jpg

Back