• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rad Help needed ASAP

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
OK removing the rad from my 96 XJ 4.0l
I found this with a line attached to it...

what is it called... how do I remove or get a new one... rad shop?

PICT0012.jpg

IMG%5D

Thats your tranny cooler.

ok, sorry another dumb question... removable or replace...
tech name for it?

I noticed ou removed the nut fom the bottom filling.

Generally, there is no need to remove the nuts or fitting unless you have the end tank off the radiator (unsoldered) and you are going to remove the (transmission) oil cooler from it.

Why did you remove the radiator from the XJ? If you are replacing the radiator, the new unit would (should) have the oil cooler in it. I am assuming you have an AW4 in your XJ. If not, there are radiators without the oil cooler.

well I found out from the local rad shop it is fixed...
they were able to help me out with a new fitting for the
"newer" rad pictured here... dual core rad...

newrad3.jpg

this all started with my power steering pump cratering... I bought the rad thinking I'd wait till summer and swap it with I do the front nose swap... NSL!

I get in and start removing the hoses from the power steering reservoir - one off cooool, 2nd one :cry: snapped the plastic friggin housing... now I wait 3 days for a new one from Toronto. Living here is a pain... I wanna move back home to Texas! Friggin JOB! and here is where I am at...

enginebay.jpg

Hey that looks like the Oscar's Radiator from Ebay. Do yourself a favor and change that plastic plug out with the Renix sensor. Even if you have to get it from the wrecking yard. I had mine crack on the trail. Also the plastic drain plug is junk. I put a brass plug in its place. By the way that is one of the best upgrades I have done to my XJ even though it is only a 1 core. I can wheel with my AC on in 110 degree weather.

this site is awesome for the first hand knowledge...
I truly appreciate all the help... will change it up, just going to test fit and clean the mess I created. The time to work on getting the power steering pulley off and mounted to the new one... prepping for the next battle...

If I remember correctly the sensor to swap that plastic plug with was like $30. I was in a hurry and did not feel like waiting on going to wrecking yard. I even cut the wires off it so there is some mad Renix guys at me. I could not find a brass plug that fit the drain plug so I tapped it to 1/4" pipe thread, and used an easy to find plug. Maybe you could take it to the raditor shop you used to fix this. It sucked for me because I only had it in the Jeep for 2 weeks and had to pull it back out to change both those plastic parts. I hate plastic.

there was some weeping from the thermostat housing... cleaned it and more weeping. I thought well it was all apart anyhow... I bought a new thermostat and gasket from NAPA. Wholly frig was that disgusting, the gasket was brittle and cruddy... all scrapped off and a little emery cloth work all good now...

The last pic looks to me like a "universal" (Open HO/Closed RENIX) radiator. It has a filler neck (Open 91+), a temp switch bung (Closed RENIX 90 and -) for the aux fan, and the tranny cooler (heat exchanger) lines for AW4 . That would fit anything from 87 thru ? (transition year was 90-91 for the closed/open system) with an AW4.

PRE-91 bung for temp switch:
OLDTEMP.jpg

It has the Quick-Disco flanges (which can be modified like a Ford system) with brass flare and barb fittings, because the OD fittings suck.

All you really need (if in fact you want to run the tranny cooler [and assuming you have an AW4] or don't have one, or want to bypass it altogether) is an upper and lower hose, an overflow bottle, etc.

If you want to include a tranny cooler in the loop get a HD cooler and run the lines with either QD's (like I said, they suck) or brass and barbs. OR you could just cut off the fitting for the tranny cooler and clamp 'em:

double.jpg

Back