• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Every morning no start.

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
So it's cold in michigan and my batter had been getting weak over the last couple months. It got to the point were i had to jump it every morning. So i went and got a new battery last night. It turned the motor over with ease. It was perfect all night starting right up every time. So i went out this morning to try to start it and bamn same thing. Is there any wires that usually short out in an xj. My connections seem fine. The only thing i get is clicking out of the selonoid. But i'm pretty comfidant the selenoid and starter are fine because they usually work great. There is no light being left on or anything like that.

solinoid clicking is from a weak battery or loss of voltage through the cables and connections. put a meter on the battery at start up, if it drops below 10volts, than the battery is not charged enough or not holding a charge.

have you verified the alternator is charging the battery?

is there a draw on the battery when the ignition is off? sometime the glove box light can stay on.

Check battery voltage with engine running. Should be about 14 volts. With engine off it should be about 12 volts. If this ain't happenin, it's either the connections (battery terminals, grounds, alternator plugs), alternator, or voltage regulator (most models have this within the PCM). Easiest thing to do is take off the battery terminal connections and polish them up. Next step is to take the alternator to an auto parts store where they can test it. There are other possibilites too, but try that stuff first.

Hello I am having the same thing .I live in Missouri and have went out 3or 4 morings and it not start because battery was to low. New cables and new ends all cont cleaned starter rebuilt .Alternator when running shows 14.6 volts battery shows 12.5 volts with engine off had Orelliys check battery show about 60 % charge they said other than that all was fine.If you find any thing let me know

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Place a voltmetre between the cable end and a good body ground. Get a reading and you've got a constant draw. Start pulling fuses until the reading is 0 and you know which circuit to start checking for a short.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Place a voltmetre between the cable end and a good body ground. Get a reading and you've got a constant draw. Start pulling fuses until the reading is 0 and you know which circuit to start checking for a short.

Not "volt" meter--you either want an amp meter, or insure you use the "amps" setting on your VOM (volt-ohm-meter).

I have done that too.get a draw for about 3 sec then no draw.golum how old is the battery. Mine is just two yrs old but age dose not mean alot .

check your battery terminals, make sure they are clean and the connections are tight. Otherwise, check your gound wires. Take them off and clean them. I had to replace my battery terminals to fix it.

I see go1lum replaced his as I have mine I have new cables and ends sanded the body where they hook up . The only thing i can think of is replacing the battery even if it checked ok there my be a short in it thats not showing up (bad cell). The alternator show 14.5 volts running the battery checked good by O'rellieys testers .I charged my battery for about 3 hrs then drove it to them the check came back battery good just under charged. about 40% under.go1lum have you had your alternator and battery checked by some one with a tester.

Battery needs to be load tested as should have happenned at O'reillieys. You can go into each cell through the caps (if the tops come off) and check each cell with a voltmeter to the ground post, of a cheap battery ?hydrometer?. (little balls float)

Back