• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

searching for idle

dakdar

NAXJA Forum User
I've just about had it with this jeep!! lol

ok I have a 1998 cherokee with a 4.0 aw4 , I recently installed a 2006 4.0 switched all the ignition stuff from the 98 over installed new cap, rotor, wires, plugs

it had a bad idle so I installed a new IAC and a new MAP sensor, and I drilled out the metal bushings out of the tps, so I could adjust it

it will run for quitew a while but the idel is constantly searching from 1100 to 400 and will not find an idle speed

I don't know what else it could be I've read a bunch and can't find anything else

any suggesstions post em up

thanks guys

first thing i would suggest is a vacuum leak, be sure you have eliminated this before throwing any money at components, you might consider buying a roll of vacuum line, and just replace it all one piece at a time. You may also consider: fuel pressure regulator, MAP sensor, air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, oxygen sensor, EGR Valve Solenoid, A/C clutch relay, and so forth. in short, get yourself a copy of the FSM, specifically the fuel injection system manual and you will see the whole system, and all the possible causes of poor idle. It's easier than throwing money at the problem.

OK finally found TPS values in 2000 FSM -- hope it's the same as yours (don't know), but the info is in many other threads if you search.

5 volts from PCM to TPS
0.26 volts out at minimum throttle (idle)
4.49 volts out at WOT

Back