• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Cargo box Options?

Hi Gang!

I'm needing o put a cargo box up on the roof rack of my Jeep XJ.
It needs to hold a 32"X37"X10" box as well as have some space left over for a few duffel bags. I've got a Yakima gutter mount rack and have been looking at the boxes they sell as well as the offerings from Thule.
I'm just wondering what other viable options are out there...

Many Thanks

Rich

Search is your friend.

Just go with the Yakima rack if you have no special requirements. Since you already have the gutter bars you'll save money. If you got the Thule one you'd have to get adapters for the Yakima bar and Thule uses square bars and Yakima uses round ones.

~Scott

Search is your friend.

Just go with the Yakima rack if you have no special requirements. Since you already have the gutter bars you'll save money. If you got the Thule one you'd have to get adapters for the Yakima bar and Thule uses square bars and Yakima uses round ones.

~Scott

Thanks Scott!

I did search and did not find what I was looking for:banghead:

I have owned both Thule and Yak, I don't mind spending more or using an adapter if one box is better than the other.

In case it was not clear, what I'm asking is "Are there any good/better alternatives to Thule or Yakima out there?"

Many thanks...

I've got the Surco basket w/ gutter mount and it's been good to me:

jeep225.jpg

jeep226.jpg

jeep228.jpg

Nice rack!

However, I'm looking for enclosed, dry storage, i.e. some sort of "box":)

If I didn't already have a Yak rack I'd get something like your set up and figure out how to put a box up there too...

Many thanks

Rich

I've got the Surco basket w/ gutter mount and it's been good to me:

jeep225.jpg

jeep226.jpg

jeep228.jpg

if you want thule stuff on a yakima rack, you're going to have to make your own adapters. they're not going to sell you adapters to use their competitor's products! I have a thule snowboard rack on my jeep wuth yakima cross bars. I modified mcmaster's PN 9746T5 to get mine to work, since yakima cross bars have a 1.125" OD, which is hard to find intentionally for adapters.

If the duffel bags aren't up there all the time I would leave the tire out in the open and get one of those bags you see on top of SUVs for the duffels.

All good but I need a roof top solution to keep a massage table safe and dry. It's 37"X32"X10"
Find me a dry bag that will fit it and I'll put it in a cargo basket on my rack...

Many thanks

Rich

All good but I need a roof top solution to keep a massage table safe and dry. It's 37"X32"X10"
Find me a dry bag that will fit it and I'll put it in a cargo basket on my rack...

Many thanks

Rich

So I guess you only massage "little people"?

if you want thule stuff on a yakima rack, you're going to have to make your own adapters. they're not going to sell you adapters to use their competitor's products! I have a thule snowboard rack on my jeep wuth yakima cross bars. I modified mcmaster's PN 9746T5 to get mine to work, since yakima cross bars have a 1.125" OD, which is hard to find intentionally for adapters.

I disagree:peace:
The mounting brackets on my Yak Kayak and bike carriers have little knock outs that you can break off if you want to use them on square bars.

It seems that Thule cargo boxes are pretty universal too. They grab most any rack.
Check it out:
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-603-ascent-1500-roof-box.html

Many Thanks

Rich

Back