• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Swap

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
I found a 4.0 that is in pretty good condition to swap for a bad motor in my 89, mine is an auto the motor I found had a BA/10 in it. The bushing in the end of the crank for the BA/10, can it be removed to be used with the auto (torque converter) or would I need to swap out the crank?

Thanks
Kenny

I believe you can simply pull out the pilot bearing. There is a chance you might need to get a different t/c if the snout on it doesn't match the end of your crank. When I swapped from the 89 AX15 to the 99 AW4, I just had to pull out the pilot bearing and the 99 t/c fit right up.

The easiest way I've found to remove pilot bearings is to pack it full of grease, drive a tightly fitting rod into it with a hammer causing the grease to push out the bearing. The tighter the rod fits the better your chances of this method working since it works on the principle of hydralics. HTH...Al

The easiest way I've found to remove pilot bearings is to pack it full of grease, drive a tightly fitting rod into it with a hammer causing the grease to push out the bearing. The tighter the rod fits the better your chances of this method working since it works on the principle of hydralics. HTH...Al

This trick didn't work for me since the pilot bearing had seized and mangled itself. The rollers were gone and it was mostly just the outer race still in there. I ended up using a dremel to slice the shell and pull it out with pliers.

Oh, wear safety glasses if you try this trick. You'll be amazed at how far you can shoot the grease. :}

Back