• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side exhaust mod

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
I have had alot of comments on my new exhaust so i decided to post it up.

I was tired of dragging my tail pipe on rocks and such and the 90* elbow after the muffler made it obnoxiously loud.

I started with a Detours rear bumper that i got about 2 years ago. I drilled a 3.5" hole through the 1/8 of the detours rocker guards and through both sides of the sheet metal of the body. Then i inserted a 3.5" pipe and had my friend weld it in place.

Next i brought my jeep to (IMHO) the best exhaust shop around and he installed an In house brand straight through muffler (magna flow style) with 2.5" pipe custom bent and fully welded all the way back with a 3" ss tip. I was able to stay in the shop and help with the install too. Not bad for $250 installed for a stainless steel muffler fully welded custom job and state inspection sticker.

PICS sorry some pics are blurry.

DSCN2990.jpg

DSCN3010.jpg

DSCN3009.jpg

DSCN3011.jpg

DSCN3007.jpg

DSCN3004.jpg

And the snow stays off that whole area but its still cold enough that even after driving the jeep all day you can touch the body right near the tip with a bare hand and its not that hot. Same with the underbody.
DSCN3058.jpg

DSCN3033.jpg

These followed the exhaust the next day, my edlebrocks had bit the dust a long time ago.
DSCN3015.jpg

i am usually pretty good when rock crawling to stay off that 1/4/rocker so i am not too worried about it getting hit there. But that armor has proven useful many times before but i do plan to beef it up just a bit more with some 3/16th triangles going in the corner (level with the ground) of the bumper and rocker skids.

Very creative and nice looking exhaust layout and execution. Great job! :yelclap: Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

Are you using 4 door bushwackers on your 2 door? I didn't think about that. Crap, I passed up a good deal on a set cause I didn't think they would work....

ha! Mine comes out right under the rear passenger door. It's the cheapest muffler on earth to, so it's loud as hell and I'm pretty sure it's spitting oil... or something... anyways, with my lift it's right at about eye-level with most cars I pull up next to at stop lights. Bet they love that... haha

Nicely done, thanks for the inspiration!

~James

PS, I had Cooper STT's on my tacoma, and wish like hell I put them on my jeep instead of these TruXus tires. The STT is a AWESOME tire. How do you like yours?

Nope, the tip does not rattle at all, the shop was very good about putting it dead center and it has a mount with rubber bushing right behind it on the leaf spring mount so its snug.

I bet people in the summer will hate me when i pull up beside them in traffic and it blows towards their car. Oh well...

I love my STT's, had them for almost 2 years now, AMAZING in the show, Fantastic off road, and with 20k on them they are wearing beautifully and i wont need to order another set for prolly about 2 years unless i decided i want my 17" rims sooner (315/75/17 's are gonna be pricy) Mine are 315/75/16 (35x12.50). I dont plan on ever getting a different tire and i have 4 friends that have bought sets in various sizes for various vehicles just because they love how mine handle. They also have great road manners and great rain traction. I used to have mt/rs and i hated driving in the rain with them now i love bad weather.

Yes those are 4 door bushwackers, i paid $200 unused for the set so i could not pass it up. I just put some black silicone in the seam and presto it works fine for me. I also made the fronts like the tj cut out style so i can stuff the tires and not tear them off any more. Works great. Here a flex pic w/o the tires even touching the bushwackers up front.

DSCN2882.jpg

Rears still rub but that inevitable.
DSCN2879.jpg

Ooooh... love that two door, the color scheme, the lift, tires, exhaust, everything!

It's funny to see a 97+ 2 door with those swing out vent windows in the back, considering the fronts are one piece (as opposed to earlier models), but I still like it!

Thanks alot, I have been working on my jeep for almost 3 years now. I love my raer vent windows, noone seems to have them either, even older ones. And the 2 door front doors are so big w/o the vent windows that i have plenty of room to look out when wheeling with my doors on.

The next mods on my list are finishing my WJ OTK steering and when the parts come in installing the Beijing 2500 front end with a custom AJ's front bumper designed specifically for that front end and finally this summer long arms. ARB front bumper is already sold.

2i085kp.jpg

No more stupid tree branch catching visor any more either.

Wow, nice rig. Almost like mine, except I got a 93, side exhaust (right behind passenger door, cheap ass muffler, etc etc...) factory tinted rear vent windows, which apparently finding factory tint on them is almost unheard of. I found them on a XJ that was literally JUST pulled into the junkyard. Got there in perfect time and for like 10-20$ each, best investment ever. Anyway, removeable doors, the works.

The differences... i used lawn edging for my fender flares (looks good(ish), and flexs well/doesnt tear off), my exhast is a hack job, mine is pretty beat up... so I guess yours is a [very] clean version of mine :D nice work on that, gotta be one of the better exhast setups I have seen, love it

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Mine side windows are factory tinted vent windows. But the drivers side one has a broken bottom hinge and i cant find used replacements and a new one is $350 so i just dont use that one. But they do make a difference when i do use them. I actually wish that it was like a van or an expedition where the rear windows opened out to let air out cause the air circulation is horrible in the back and it would be nice to have airflow in the back. i have been looking for a company that does custom glass that might be able to remake the setup that there but with small vent windows at the back just like the front. But its a long shot that it can be done w/o costing a fortune.

No plans of a chop in the future for me, I like alot of the ones that have been done but not my style, If anything i may do an interior roll cage and 5 pt harnesses one day but for now no plans for that.

that thing would look awesome if you cut the back off it :D
Like chop the roof/make a bed? Dont give him any ideas, thats my plan as soon as I can get a house/apt with a yard and a new job. I just got terminated so I am moving back in with the rents where my rig is currently stored (and where I have room to work on it) Hopefully I can find a job around there. I am 400 miles south of there now so a weekend trip home to work would be tough! ;) that and not having $$ coming in makes it hard to rationalize spending money on parts

xtrememtbiker85 said:
But the drivers side one has a broken bottom hinge and i cant find used replacements and a new one is $350 so i just dont use that one
DAMN, I gotta remember never to break them things. If I come across a setup in the junk yard I'll keep ya in mind and grab the hinges, maybe shoot one up to ya.

xtrememtbiker85 said:
i have been looking for a company that does custom glass that might be able to remake the setup that there but with small vent windows at the back just like the front. But its a long shot that it can be done w/o costing a fortune.
Ever thought of trying to do something with Lexan? could make a tinted lexan window and do something with that... Thats what I am going to be replacing my rear windows with after I chop the roof, gonna try to cut and modify the rubber seal to fit the shorter rear window.. not sure how that will go.

Unfortunately you can replace the hinges its all 1 setup so thats why it costs so much, i may be able to repair it but i have not had time to look in to it more.

deff keep your eyes out for a drivers side vent window, i can always get it tinted.

You sure you cant replace the hinges? I swear I had one of mine fall out when I was installing the windows. I took the vent window glass out when I was removing/installing the whole setup and the hinges fell out I believe, if I remember correctly there is a little groove it slides and hooks into. I can check for ya when I get back to MA in a few days.

Edit: wait..
xtrememtbiker85 said:
Unfortunately you can replace the hinges its all 1 setup so thats why it costs so much

are you saying you cant replace just the hinges because its all one setup? or are you saying you can... or what are you saying...? The hinges can be removed from the window itself, and I am almost positive they can be removed from that rubber frame of the window.. so they should be able to come free.. I havent looked at it in a couple months really so maybe I am forgetting something, but I remember tearing it all apart to clean it... I'l have to look ::shrug::

Last edited:
Typo, AFIK you cant replace them. But if you know how id love to know. But i searched at the dealership and they said its all 1 unit.

Back