• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this the correct Lenght

HotChiliRam

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I've just bought a set of Bilstein's 5150's with 255/70 valving and 14" of travel all around. For installation I'm using JKS Bar pin eliminators and JKS shock conversion kit for the front. After I bought all these, I'm wondering if this is the correct lenght to use in a 1990, 4 door, 33" tires, 6,5" lifted XJ??
I'm sure the valving is correct, but I'm not sure about the lenght. If this is not the lenght that I needed, what can I do to use the shocks anyway and don't break them?

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR EVERYBODY!!

Did you take any compresses extended measurements on the jeep?

I can tell you now that the fronts are going to be long.
In my buildup I'm using 12" Fox's and they are going to require me to cut the upper mount out and start over with something new.
Did you take any compresses extended measurements on the jeep?
X2. This is really the only way to get the correct ones. The ones that come with lift kits are generally best guesses.
Measure everything and be sure.

Usually around 12" up front(stock mounting,BPE's will make it even less).And about 10" in the rear with stock uppers and raised lowers.

Usually around 12" up front(stock mounting,BPE's will make it even less).And about 10" in the rear with stock uppers and raised lowers.
I still think 12" is a little long for ~6" unless they are shortbodies.
While that is a good rough number, like bcmaxx and myself mentioned above the only TRUE way to know is to measure it.

I think most guys end up with 10's up front using the stock mounts, at 5-6" of lift.

I'm running 12" shortbody's (same length as a 10" shock) and still bottom them out periodically.

That's the only problem, I didn't take any measurements. and no, they are not short body's. It looks like I'm toasted, I'm going to sell them and take measurements before buying a new set. I wanted to know what you guy's where using.

Thanks a Lot for the reply's.

My best wishes for all of you guy's for this 2009, Sincerely.

HotChiliRam

That's the only problem, I didn't take any measurements. and no, they are not short body's. It looks like I'm toasted, I'm going to sell them and take measurements before buying a new set. I wanted to know what you guy's where using.
Did you buy them from a vendor? Can you just exchange them for the right size?
My best wishes for all of you guy's for this 2009, Sincerely.

HotChiliRam
Same to you!

I bought them in the states and I live in Chile, so I'm going to try to sell them here and buy the correct ones before I take some measurements.
Stupid thing I did. The biggest problem is that I have a wheeling week on January 21th so I need my Piece ready for that day.

Thank You.

I bought them in the states and I live in Chile, so I'm going to try to sell them here and buy the correct ones before I take some measurements.
Stupid thing I did. The biggest problem is that I have a wheeling week on January 21th so I need my Piece ready for that day.

Thank You.

Ahh! I didn't even notice your where from Chile. That definitely complicates things.

Your welcome. :)

don't mean to jump in, how do I measure my shocks compressed/ uncompressed
Measure the shocks themselves (just measure them) or the Jeep for the shocks?

To measure the Jeep:
Droop the suspension to the max point without shocks installed, measure.
Compress the suspension to the max point without shocks installed, measure.
Presto... you now have the lengths.

Remember to be careful with brakelines and to bumpstop accordingly.

Well, today I Measure the length of the shocks and travel of the Jeep, here are the Numbers:
Shocks (Front and Rear measured the same) :
Extended: 27"
Collapsed: 17"
Travel: 10"
Body Lenght: 15"

Now, the Jeep without shocks:

Front Extended: 28"
Front Collapsed: 17", I need to get larger Bumpstop because my tires rip my fender when compleatly collapsed. So I need to add 1 1/2" to this collapsed number so it will become 18 1/2".

Rear Extended: 22,5"
Rear Collapsed: 12,5", I need longer bumpstop for the rear too, the ones that I have now need 2,5" more to just touch the axle.

Well, I found in the Bilstein page the Lenght of the 5150 shocks and I can't figure exactly what I need. I'm kinda biased to the 255/70 valving, I had this valving in a Ram that I had with 7100´s and the truck rode great, and I've read here that the best valving for the XJ is 255/70, But I was thinking that if the XJ is a lot lighter that the Ram, wouldn't it be OK with a 170/60 valving?

I'm open to suggestions on what to get.

Here's the link to the Bilstein Page: http://www.digitalperformance.com/bilstein/offroad_5150.php

Thanks for the Help.

Back