• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Version of a Dual Rear Ladder Set-Up

macs97XJ

NAXJA Member #1247
My rig does not really setup that high, 4 1/2" RC on 31's. However, I have the Olympic Top Hat Rack which has a huge area for carrying items, which in the PNW that is secondary to the proctection it provides.

I have a 3 pc home brew rear tube bumper, which the sides bolt on. Once I had that completed I was needing to make another 1/4" plate to bolt in-between them the move out the corners a little.

With everything said above, my intent was to built a quick release ladder, which would also double as rear gate protection. I wanted it to weigh as little as possible 17lbs as it sits now.

So the Olympic Tap Hat has two tabs on the rear

i1d7ie.jpg

With the two holes I used two welded studs on the top of the ladder to quickly sit down in the tabs and spin on the nuts/wings from the bottom.

2r4n9xz.jpg

The rear would be connected on both sides using a simple design to hold the weight on top of the 1/4" spacers.

2ce145j.jpg

2u5tlrr.jpg

Using quick pins it would be secured to the bumper

dsgtd.jpg

In order to keep the weight down, I used 1/2" square tubing. Following the dam conture of the rear hatch was a pain, but in order to get the bends, we used a hand saw to cut into the tube at and angle to sneak up to the angles.

I'm 220 and I was climbing up all over it bouncing up and down, and it is pretty dam solid. I used rubber washers to mount in-between the Rack and the ladder to provide a little cushion. This set-up will have to be removed if and when you need to get into the rear area. Knowing this, is the quick removing and light weight of the set up.

Here are a few pics of it mounted.

2e5jy52.jpg

f9icrc.jpg

With the above pic, close to the top is an area I added more support to for future add-on's.

ta3mf5.jpg

25k09j9.jpg

xkqbll.jpg

I'm pleased with it, it suits my intent of a little assistance getting up on-top for my family (they are short), adds a little proctection, and is quickly removed.

Mac

Last edited:
I wonder if you could mount something going from ladders to the hatch like a magnet or something so you could just un pin the bottom and have it hinge up top with the hatch. Maybe I dunno thats what I think though.

It is only 17lbs, so taking it off and on is no issue. I am looking at mounting some kind of box on the top shelf of it. Don't know.

mac

I saw another post where someone else made a ladder similar to yours and I think the lower mount was onto the hatch, but its been such a long time I don't quite recall. A search might turn up some good ideas.

I was thinking about something similar (back when I ran my spare on the roof.)

I wanted to hinge it at the top, off the roofrack; and let the bottom of the ladder land on the bumper to support the load. It would have needed some sort of hinged bracket in the middle to carry the ladder when the hatch was opened.

Yours is 100 times simpler, and simple is always better.

Good job.

Robert

Looks like a fair bit of work for something used only occasionally. I don't get why you'd need two either, but the workmanship looks decent. let us know how much you actually use it, as it seems to me it'd be in the way more than useful. I'll open my hatch several times on a given run, but won't access the roof maybe but once or twice a year for a weekend long run where I'm hauling firewood or the like.

Looks like a fair bit of work for something used only occasionally. I don't get why you'd need two either, but the workmanship looks decent. let us know how much you actually use it, as it seems to me it'd be in the way more than useful. I'll open my hatch several times on a given run, but won't access the roof maybe but once or twice a year for a weekend long run where I'm hauling firewood or the like.

But since he can pull em off and throw em in garage, they don't even have to ride along if he doesn't plan on putting anything on the rack.

I like it.

Robert

Robert you hit it on the head. When I take this thing camping with the family 4 plus 2 dogs, I load up the cargo area with items and then I place my camping gear accessories ontop last. 1st items off is the tent and accessories anyway. Then I take off the ladder when I finish unloading the roof to get to the cargo area.

I went with the dual design so anyone can climb up on either side, plus I think the dual set-up looks better than the one sided ladder.

mac

Last edited:
Ah, makes sense. I assumed you ran around with the ladders on all of the time. Looks pretty good, sounds like it'll do the trick for you. Nice job.

mac,
not to steaL YOUR THREAD OR ANYTHING WHAT KIND OF TAILLIGHT GUARDS ARE THOSE AND WHERE DID YOU FIND THEM?? i really would like to know so that i can purchase a set since ive broken 4 sets of taillights.

mac,
not to steaL YOUR THREAD OR ANYTHING WHAT KIND OF TAILLIGHT GUARDS ARE THOSE AND WHERE DID YOU FIND THEM?? i really would like to know so that i can purchase a set since ive broken 4 sets of taillights.

When I get nervous I can't CONTROL THE VOLUME OF MY voice. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Don't know when I'm doing it, but I have one other guy locally wanting a pair. So when I get around to it, I will make an one extra set. I used to make them a few years back pretty regularly.

Mac

Back