• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4L Issues

river6822

NAXJA Forum User
This is a realtively new XJ to me so I don't have a ton of history with it. When I test drove it, I certainly checked all three modes, 2,4H and 4L with no issues. I have no issues in 2wd or 4H, but I do in 4L now. It's been about three months since I bought it, and this is the first time I'm trying 4L again.

If I switch to 4L while in PARK, the 4L will sometimes catch, sometimes not. If I try to switch into 4L while in NEUTRAL, it won't catch at all. It feels like it wants to but then it pops out and just grinds. If I were to hold the transfer case lever, it would stay in (at least for the 2 seconds I tried it) but then it would just pop out of gear and grind.

The only recent mod I've made is adding a 2" lift, spacers in front and shackle in the rear. Oh - and moved up to 31" tires.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

Not sure if this will help but according to the owner's manual, it is suggested that you shift into 4low while in neutral and while moving at 5mph or less. I usually follow this method and haven't had any problems.

Your shift linkage might not be properly adjusted. I believe to adjust it correctly, you need to loosen the fastener that ties the linkage together. Manually place the transfer case in 4low (on the transfer case) and place the shift lever in 4low but leave 1/8" of space between the back of the lever and the gate (metal thing inside the console).

Sounds like you just need to adjust the linkages. you should be all good after that!

I'll have to try the moving method. In my 88 I always stopped before switching to 4L otherwise it would grind like a &*((*&&!!!.

Between 2wd and 4H I could switch at any speed.

dont use 4wd on dry pavement

I don't use 4wd on dry pavement, but just to prevent bad gas mileage. Why should it not be used? Unless you're talking about 4L and that I just use for getting out of a snow bank or the like ;)

Back