• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

busted hood release cable

<just to satisfy folks 'round here> Sirch, noob!

Now that that's out of the way...... I went through this on my Heep last spring. Someplace around here, there's a good picture of how to unbolt the loop that the latch mechanism fastens onto, by taking out the headlights. There's one bolt that goes straight back, and one bolt that goes straight up.

If you can pop the hood on a similar XJ, take a good look at where the latches hook up. With no more than a Philips screwdriver, the right socket and a couple of extensions, you should be able to have the hood open in just a few minutes.

You should be able to cut into the plastic cable at the end and use a pair of needle nose pliers to pop the hood open...

My Dad has been through 4 of these cables since he got his '01 Cherokee 3 years back. That worked every time but once.

i did it by reaching up from the bottom and clamping on visegrips to the hood release linkage that runs across from side to side near the radiator and was able to pull it and it released the hood.

You should be able to cut into the plastic cable at the end and use a pair of needle nose pliers to pop the hood open...

My Dad has been through 4 of these cables since he got his '01 Cherokee 3 years back. That worked every time but once.
Clean out and relube the hood latches, and the bellcrank on the bottom of the hood where the cable terminates. I'll bet that why your Dad is snapping so many cables.

Clean out and relube the hood latches, and the bellcrank on the bottom of the hood where the cable terminates. I'll bet that why your Dad is snapping so many cables.

I did clean up and relube the latches, but I don't think I looked at the bellcrank. Something to know for next time (hopefully not).

You should be able to reach your arm up from underneath the rig inbetween the fans and disengage it by pulling the linkage that runs between the 2 latches. I have had to have this done a couple of times recently and it worked fine, but if you have some forearms like Popeye, you might need some help :D

When you get it open, just take all the latch stuff off, replace with hood pins and don't worry about it again.

Back