• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing freeze plug?

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
can you just replace or is the motor toast? sorry my bro just got home and he was using my 96 Blazer and he says the freeze plug popped. .... bad news for me

yes its the 4.3. is it mostly labor intensive? pain in the rear? preety cheap for a plug?

thanks man is it something i cn do with moderateknowledge of vehicles? i suppose its a dealer only part? thanks for the info

can you just replace or is the motor toast? sorry my bro just got home and he was using my 96 Blazer and he says the freeze plug popped. .... bad news for me

are you sure its a freeze plug?

if it popped, coolant will leakout.
did he keep driving after it so called "popped"?

have you ever replaced one before. they can be a pain in the ass to install when the engine is not removed. you may be able to get away with using a rubber expandable one.

some are easier to get to than others

the blazer is still 20 blocks from home. i have no way of going and getting it. my brother is going to have to call a tow truck. im not getting it impounded. someone that helped him get it off the side of the road said he was a mechanic, he told my brother it was a freeze plug. i have not had the chance to heck it out yet.

I think it has a plastic intake. and if it does thoes are known for cracking/blowing the gaskets out mostly on the right rear corner. it will have anti freeze down the side of the block and down the back of the motor if I were closer I would help you but Im down in corvallis

Last edited:
hey no problem man. I just don tknow how in the hell im going to get it out. My Xj is in the process of 44 and 9" swap so the front axle is out and its not going anywhere. i was supposed to start my new job here coming real soon and I was supposed to be driving my own vehicle to work. looks like im jobless and in a very f'd up situation...

Back