• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Make your own tow hook brackets?

JAFFAR3869

NAXJA Forum User
Im 16, bought a sweet Cherokee that i love(mint!!, no rust!!!), and i dont wanna do to much wheelin with no hooks. I ve looked into buying some, but they are like $75 and over, and with limited budget I want a better alternative.

I attend a vocational high school and i can get brackets made for next to nothing if anything:spin1:, and i could have machine shop mill out some actual hooks.

Anyone have an suggestions on how to design the brackets and whats the possibillity of rear hooks that dont jip my ground clearance?

What kind of metal should i use??

any ideas, or anything at all would help. Thanks!

look at hi country tow hook brackets and you can get an idea of how to make those. they're easier because they attach to the bottom of the frame and are reenforced on the side. the rear would be tougher because the bumper blocks the frame. just get a hitch and use that. that's what i've been using with no problems

But the hooks and build the brackets out of 3/16". Copy the factory brackets, or Custom 4x4 brackets (same), and don't forget to tie them into the front of the frame with an L bracket.

BTW,the actual hooks are "forged" steel.

i used this back in highschool and it worked out alright
Picture021.jpg

Check the bone yards, You may find a set there (very cheep) or if your lucky maybe a bumper with built ins (cheep)

i can send you the exact measurements for the hi-country brackets when i get home. i made a few sets at work. then you just have to make some clevis blocks(i can send you measurements for those too)

there are actually pictures online of homemade tow hook brackets that incorporate a steering block brace. They also incorporate way more bolts on both sides of the front subframe so they will never bent. I made some outta 1/4" steel and just bought a couple longer bolts for the steering box and used some hooks I had lying around.

This is exactly what mine look like but with a piece of angle welded for the tow hook on the front
Rigidco21.sized.jpg
, and another bracket on the inside of the "frame" like this one
fwbanglebracket.jpg

I actually used this really rough template http://bc4x4.com/tech/2004/xjhook/

so ive always been about jeeps, but whats the purpose of the steering box plate, obviously to brace it, but are they known for moving? fill me in. Thanks!!!

The use of larger tires is known for putting too much stress on the sheet metal unibody, and it is known for developing crackings, and delivering poor steering response.

i have basically the same question... but could i do something like a 1/4" thick plate and use the 2 bolts from the sway bar mounts on each side and bolt up/weld up some hooks to that 1/4" plate and just use the 2 bolts from the sway bar?

there are actually pictures online of homemade tow hook brackets that incorporate a steering block brace. They also incorporate way more bolts on both sides of the front subframe so they will never bent. I made some outta 1/4" steel and just bought a couple longer bolts for the steering box and used some hooks I had lying around.

This is exactly what mine look like but with a piece of angle welded for the tow hook on the front
Rigidco21.sized.jpg
, and another bracket on the inside of the "frame" like this one
fwbanglebracket.jpg

I actually used this really rough template http://bc4x4.com/tech/2004/xjhook/

there's a better template floating around than that... but I was also thinking of incorporating those sway bar bolts (bad boy, you need that sway bar!) by welding more 1/4" at an angle, would this just be overkill? I think it's a good idea for both strength and it'll give me incentive to drop my sway bar even more, the links are far too short and it likes to push into the radiator... haha.

Back