• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about a 96 fuel system

Imjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a 96 xj. It still lives at my buddies house for now, but I'm trying to gather the parts I need to getting running before I bring it home.

There is no fuel tank in it at the moment. From what I have gathered the metal tank out of the 86-96ish Xj's work but the sending unit is specific to the 96 model.

Is this correct, is there away to use the more readily available sending unit out of other years?

Be sure whatever tank you get is for a fuel injected engine,
According to the FSM the sending unit is not-serviced -- you must buy it as a complete fuel pump module .
And be aware that different years have different fuel pressure requirements.On my 96 there is NO external fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.Its in the pump assembly.

Wayne

Would the only difference be that the regulator is in the tank?

Could I use an aftermarket Fpr with an earlier style sending unit and pump?

The 96 rail doesn't have a return line and uses a 49psi pump(internally regulated iirc). Whereas the earlier rails were 39psi and had a return and stock regulator on the rail.

New question along the same lines didn't think it needed it's own thread.

I found a good deal on a fuel tank and sending unit out of a 98. I intend on mounting the tank in the cargo area anyways, so since mounting is a non issue will this work with the 96?

Back