• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning 87 Renix into a 96 H.O.

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey fellas, I did a little bit of searching but I couldn't find exactly what i'm looking for. I know alot of people have done H.O's into Renix XJ's, but I was thinking about putting a Renix into an H.O. I found a great deal on craigslist for a 96 2 Door, body is in real good shape but it says that it doesn't run. I plan on troubleshooting it hoping that maybe it's just a bad sensor or something but for the meantime i'm just going to assume the worst, that the engine is bad. I have an 87 2 Door in great running shape, but i screwed up last summer by chopping the top off. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but i'm no longer crazy about it. The vehicle I want to buy is a 96' 2 Door 4x4 4.0 5 Speed, my 87 is a 2 Door 4x4 4.0 Auto. Would I have to swap everything under the hood or would it be possible to just use the renix block. Another question I have is if my renix motor will bolt up to the 5 Speed. I'm assuming it's an AX-15. Basically I want to have a "normal" 2 Door (with a roof) again.

you will only be able to use the block. everything else from the 96 will need to be bolted on: head and exhaust, intake maniflold and throttle body, flywheel/flexplate, all the electronics....

yes, all 4.0 blocks for an xj will mount to an auto/manual trans from a 4.0 xj. the issue will be what pilot bearing to use for the 96 x-15 when using a renix block/crank

I would buy the 96 see if you make it run and then if not find another ho motor on craigslist. I see them on there all the time for cheep. then sell or part your old one to make up some of the cost.

just my .02

Back