• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield washer pump?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a washer pump that has a higher pressure then the stock XJ front pump? My pump is almost dead and I figure it's time to upgrade rather then just replace it. I am going to try pulling a handful of pumps from Pick N Pull and see how they do but I figured I should check here first to see if there's any models in particular I should look for.

I think a higher pressure pump would offer you no gains lol, if it was too strong its not gonna hit the window at the right speed. This is definitely a part you want to be stock.

you must do alot of muddin. ive thoght bout this too. i dont like mud but when i do go thru it it goes everywere (no flairs)

I've been considering doing the same thing. Right now my washer fluid barely makes it halfway up the windshield and the volume is horrible. I know I prolly need to clean the system and definately clean the nozzles but I'd like to upgrade the pump and the nozzles to get better pressure and more volume.

If you wanted to get creative you could just get a pond or a fountain pump and use it as an external pump. The problem is gunna be finding them in 12V. If they're durable enough to pump pond scum through then I'm sure they'd do fine pumping washer fluid too. And even the smallest one you can by at Lowe's or whatever is gunna give you as much pressure as you want and the volume should stay the same if you're using the stock nozzles. In fact, you might just wanna look at the specs for the pump to make sure it can handle the pressure that it'll be running at with the stock nozzles.

i tihnk new nozzles, maybe lines, and definitely pump would be a good idea. mine works great, and my rear used to work really well to, but it just stopped? i have no idea why it doesnt work anymore. Im thinking the wires for it might run through the passenger door wires because i dont have a harness in there, possibly?

My rear also quit working. I can still hear the pump running but nothin comes out. Either the pump quit being productive or the line's blocked somewhere :dunno:

You can listen to see if you can hear it running to know whether or not you unplugged it's harness.

My rear also quit working. I can still hear the pump running but nothin comes out. Either the pump quit being productive or the line's blocked somewhere :dunno:

You can listen to see if you can hear it running to know whether or not you unplugged it's harness.

Hey you guys, there is a small spring loaded check valve in your tailgate inline to the rear squirter (blue in color) that clogs.
:peace:

You could add dual washer pumps after the standard one. As close to the windshield as you can, in each separate line, add an aftermarket pump inline. If you really want to turbocharge it, run the pumps from relays like the aftermarket driving lights. When you go to rallies, you can show off your optimized system.

Since we're on the subject of some form of wipers, second the rear problems. Never worked since I bought the XJ. When I depress the switch it sticks and even before it started sticking there never seemed to be any power in the first place. Is there an indicator light such as the rear defroster?

Now for checking the pump I'm thinking of splicing the wires and just running them straight to the battery to see if the pump will turn on. Sounds like a good idea? Anyone have any ideas let me know?

Yeah, can't hurt to run wires direct, but it would be easier to check for current at the plug with a indicator light or voltmeter. If you have current, the pump is fried. (or the plug connection is corroded, dirty, etc.) If you have juice at the plug, pull it on and off a few times to make sure the connection is cleaned. For the rear wiper motor check fuses, then check for current at the motor.

X2 on that
use a meter alot simpler too just leave it on and test the wires running to the motor see if you have power could be a switch or relay or fuse alot of things use a meter will make electrical work 100x better

Since we're on the subject of some form of wipers, second the rear problems. Never worked since I bought the XJ. When I depress the switch it sticks and even before it started sticking there never seemed to be any power in the first place. Is there an indicator light such as the rear defroster?

Now for checking the pump I'm thinking of splicing the wires and just running them straight to the battery to see if the pump will turn on. Sounds like a good idea? Anyone have any ideas let me know?

No indicator lights on the wiper switch, but the switch on mine had broken- the wiper would only function as long as you held the button down (which would normally, I believe, be spraying fluid, which it has never done either- dead pump or a wiring problem). It didn't latch in the on position. Got a new switch for about $20 bucks. Wiper now works, although the pump is still silent. Might want to try a new switch in yours as well, by the sound of it.

Back