• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First post, first problem

plutonium239

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ sport 4x4 with 125k miles. All stock with slightly larger Silent Armor tires. So far the rig has been very reliable but I am having issues with the t-case. When stationary, in neutral and shifting from 2 hi to 4 hi, it will always grind before engaging. When rolling, I can let off the gas and pop into 4 hi with no problems. In neutral, isn't there zero output shaft speed? Why would the t-case grind? I also have the same problem going into 4 lo when at a stop in either neutral or park.

j2.jpg

What you describe is fairly normal. You should be rolling slightly and in neutral to engage the tcase the easiest.

What you describe is fairly normal. You should be rolling slightly and in neutral to engage the tcase the easiest.

I think my confusion is this: When in neutral, (my assumption) is that the output of the transmission is not turning, otherwise the vehicle would be moving forward because aft of the transmission, the t-case and diff have no mechanical way to stop/disconnect rotational speed. So why would the t-case grind at all when in neutral???

Sounds Like your linkage rod may need adjusted or replaced...It's a$75 dealer only part...I've needed one for a year now I have NO 4 Low. it just grinds like hell if I try so I don't try anymore. Just haven't had the time or the motivation to get it fixed I rarely use 4 Low in any of my Jeeps mainly on severly steep down-hill descents would I really want it.

I just went out and tested mine, because this is the first winter I had it and last week when I tried it it also ground like crazy when I tried to go into 4 lo. Then it also ground from neutral to 4 hi.

So I looked in the owner's manual and it says that you can shift into 4 hi at any speed, but 4 lo only up to 2-3 mph. I started mine up and put the auto trans into neutral and then I could shift the t-case in to 4HI, N, or 4LO without any grinding.

You do mean transmission in neutral, not transfer case, right? It will always grind a little when you go from TC neutral to any other speed in motion, including 4 low. It should go straight from 2 high to 4 high and back with the tranny in neutral without grinding, but if you have a 5-speed the transmission it may turn some in neutral just from the drag of the oil, especially when it's cold. I don't know whether the same is true of the automatic, but it shouldn't turn if it's in park.

Is it an auto/AW4? My XJ always have problem when shifting the T-case when the engine is running and is stationary with the AW4 in neutral.

If the XJ is not moving, I put the tranny in 'P' then move the T-case lever. If the XJ is moving (very slowly) I shift the tranny to 'N' then shift the T-case in or out of 4-low.

Shifting between 2 high and 4 high is done with the XJ moving at any speeds up to 40MPH by letting off the gas and moving the t-case lever. Of course I only shift to 4WD if the XJ is on snow, ice, dirt road or other slippery surface.

Hope this helps.

There is more drag in neutral in the AW4 than there will normally be in a manual.

Back