• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ 4.0L problems

Dustin_Z

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I'm having a series of issues with my Jeep, and this is the latest one.

The lastest problem has me confused. Under heavy acceleration/torque load I am having white exhaust and a miss. However there are no probles at idle or under light acceleration. Also if I let it idle for 10 minutes or so, I am steaming like a locomotive on initial acceleration, after 100 yards or so theres no white. I'm not sure if its coolant or just condensation/water in the fuel.

In short, I'm lost, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't want to get confused with simple moisture being exhausted, especially during the winter, but white smoke can also mean you are burning coolant.

Have you had to add any antifreeze lately? How is the level in the reservoir? If you're going through coolant, it might be time for some testing. Cooling system pressure testing, compression testing and leakdown testing come to mind as ways to help you isolate.

I was buring coolant recently, was a bad head gasket. I did not magnaflux the head at that time. Because of that, I am still burping the cooling system, and I may be burning it but unaware of it. I'm familar with the white smoke in the winter, and the exhaust smells normal at idle, however when there is a high torque load applied, there is a tint of antifreeze smell.

I will pull and read the plugs tomorrow,a nd hope to do some pressure testing this weekend

Back