• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Engagement

Atownatheist

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been having this 4wd problem and narrowed it down to the vacuum engagement. Since the vehicle is now offroad only, i dont see the point in making the front axle engagement switchable. I've seen the pages on the DIY posi-loc kits: I'm not to keen on drilling a hole in the housing to let water and mud in to wreck havoc. so I thought about just wedging the engagement forks with washers so its permanently engaged. Any thoughts on the idea? Is water in the engagement really a big deal? Is washers a really bad idea and i just don't see it? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks

I should prolly mention what I have:

1991 Jeep Cherokee with the NP231/dana 30 front "Comand-Trac" 4wd setup. Like I said, its off road only now, so road manners aren't a factor.

It wont affect the road manners; the later 1pc axles really accomplish the same thing.

You can wedge it over with washers, some have done it here before. Posi-Lok also sells a perm-lok kit to do the same thing.

You could also just go grab a one-piece axle shaft and eliminate that weak spot.

I'll grab the one piece later, at this point in time I'm to poor (and dont have the time) to get and install a new front axle.

Eventually I will get one ..... I hope.

I'll grab the one piece later, at this point in time I'm to poor (and dont have the time) to get and install a new front axle.

Eventually I will get one ..... I hope.

He was not talking about the whole housing---just the shaft. If you wrench on your rig alot, it should take less than 30 minutes to change a shaft.
Everyone should know how because if you wheel alot you will have to change at least one on the trail sometime.

Back