• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Freshening

Ramcharger

NAXJA Forum User
I've recently picked up a '92 Cherokee with a 4.0 L HO engine. Engine has a lifter tick and was contemplating just dropping in a new lifter. Well, since I have to pull the head anyway, I was thinking of just yanking the engine to freshen it up.

I'm in the planning stage and this is what has come to mind:

Bearings and seals.
New oil pump.
All new lifters and maybe a cam if it's trashed from the collapsed lifters.
Timing chain.
New rings and a hone job depending on condition.
Lap all valves in and new valve stem seals. Hopefully the guides are good.

So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone who has had a lifter problem found that the cam has been trashed?

2. If I have to replace the cam, are there any good SMALL cams that will work with the existing computer or is a replacement stock cam my only choice?

3. Anything else I should look for or that I have missed on the afforementioned list?

Thanks in advance!

Since you are already planing on a rebuild of the engine why not try running some Marvel Mystery oil, Seafoam or other engine cleaner. A friend of mine bought an Audi with lifter noise expecting to have to put all new lifters in. He tried a few different bottles and the problem went away.

Its not like you have much to loose.
If you are going to be doing the lifters you should replace the cam while you are there. Maybe something to pick the power up as well.
How many miles on the engine?

~Alex

~Alex

A lot of guys recommend against using new lifters with an old cam, the cam tends to spale or flake.
I'd advise against doing the main bearings, this is an old technology motor and has many of the same tendencies the old 318 had. Connecting rod bearings are fairly safe to mess with. The main bearings may wear in, way off from true and still be functional. Replacing a set of main bearings without turning the crank, is likely a waste fo time, a bearing set and crank cost about the same from a wholesaler as does getting your own crank machined.
I'd do a compression test, if your above 150, your likely good for many years. Take the valve cover off and see how the rockers are oiling. The motor oils from the bottom up and if the main or connecting rod bearings are really sloppy they can leak off enough pressure to starve the top for oil. Or you may even have a partial blockage someplace in the oil passages. The rockers hve been known to wear in and get really sloppy, even wear all the way through on occasion, this may be your tick.
An exhaust leak can make almost exactly the same tick as a lifter, a lot of people have been fooled.

Alex,

220K miles. I figured I'd throw some Seafoam in teh crankcase and run some through the intake. I thought at worst I'd have a nice clean engine to break down, lol!

8Mud,

No problems with putting new lifters on a used cam as long as the cam isn't already damaged and proper break in procedures are followed along with a good Zinc Phosphate additive. It's definitley up top and not a header/manifold leak. You may very well be right about a blockage. I've decided to take a week off and just pull the engine :) I'll yank the valve cover first though and check it out.

A long time ago, I purchased a Mercury with a 429 in it that was clattering like hell. The owner was told by the dealership that it needed a new motor. I added in a can of Liquid Wrench and within a couple of days it was purring like a kitten. I drove it for 6 more years, 50K miles plus and it was still running like a top when I sold it.

Back