• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using junk yard stock A/C compressor as OBA,

tonofclay2

NAXJA Forum User
After reading all the wonderful articles on OBS with a York from various sources, including a JY Volvo, I began to wonder why I couldn't just use a JY A/C compressor as the pump for an OBA system. It makes sense but somehow I think I missing something. A bracket could be made, maybe just below the alternator, or like others where the battery is then just hire it up.

If I knew where the info was, I'd post it.
I know its been done. Google search it.
Two issues:
Where to place it to get enough belt wrap without interfering anywhere (or where to put it and which belt to use)
How to oil it, since A/C refrigerant has a lubricant in it / a lubricating property of some sort.

Nice, Nice. These all helped a ton. Then when I went to the junk yard to find another compressor I stumbled upon a york...so guess which one I picked!!! It came out of an 86 Wagoneer. Now I have to start designing the system and getting more info on where to mount it.

I'm keeping my A/C, so if anyone had mounted a York please let me know.

Nice, Nice. These all helped a ton. Then when I went to the junk yard to find another compressor I stumbled upon a york...so guess which one I picked!!! It came out of an 86 Wagoneer. Now I have to start designing the system and getting more info on where to mount it.

I'm keeping my A/C, so if anyone had mounted a York please let me know.
i expected to walk all day to find a york and pull one out. first wagoneer i came to had the compressor unbolted and pulled up and out of the way. i guess someone was looking for something else. utility knife to cut the hoses and I was on my way. easiest Junkyard pull i ever did.

Back