• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions Regarding Lifting an '01 XJ Sport

usna61

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I am looking into lifting my '01 XJ Sport and was thinking of initially of going with Rough Country's 3" suspension lift, and some BFG AT's (31" tires). My Dad and I have talked to people, and we were just wondering if that set-up would work (on the stock 15" rims) and if there was anything else we would need. I am on an part-time employed college student budget, so if anyone has tips on cheap, yet quality parts, your input is appreciated.

Oh by the way, I am from MD, and the state laws say that the max height of the bumper can be no more than 28". Will the mods I have planned violate that law?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rough country is not your best bet, their control arms and shocks are poor quality to put it nicely, I know I've run their kits and for a few extra bucks I would go with Rubicon Express. Also most 31's will rub the control arms on full lock with stock wheels. It's not that crucial but will chew up your tires over time, 15x8's would be the ticket.

Back spacing is the key to your wheels not rubbing, a 15x8 rim will do you no good if you have 6" backspacing. You can go with some wheel spacers, but it think those run about $100 a pair $200 for all four. For the same price you could get some cheap steelies and be better off.

X2 on the RE lift, stay away from Procomp unless all you are getting is the springs, the shocks ride hard as hell, and the control arms can tear stuff up if you aren't careful. Though I have heard RC's new shocks are a lot better than they were. Do your research on shocks.

Last edited:
I would go with RE as stated above. I have an '01 with the 4.5" lift from them and love it. As for the 31s, that is what i run in the winter on my stock rims (15x7) and don't have any problems with rubbing, but like i said i have the 4.5" lift so im not sure if that makes a difference.

For 31s on a budget just got a junkyard lift, search around for that because there are alot of different options. For the front you can stack (and hopefully RTV or silicon together) stock isolators for another 2 inches and add a V8 ZJ coil for about a inch or so. The rear build a bastard pack (search) use extra XJ main leaves, dakota or S10 springs to add to your stock rear springs. You can also add a MJ commanche rear shackle for about an inch of lift in the rear or just get some 2 inch shackles from pretty much any company that sells XJ lifts. For longer brake lines you can use 1990 chevy 1500 brake lines up front and a YJ rear (that should work up to a 4 or 5 inch lift). You might need to buy new shocks but that can be determined after the lift. A SYE and new rear DS would be the best way to go but that runs about $400, instead just buy a T-case drop kit (about $20) or make your own.

Also since you have a 01 you will have a LP front dana 30 and if you have ABS you will have a dana 35 outback. Both those axles bring the suck! Grab a 8.25 or dana 44 from a junkyard jeep and a HP dana 30 from the same jeep to make sure you have the same gear ratios. The late model jeeps will have stronger 29 spline 8.25's, if they have that axle, and HP dana 30s (until 2000) with the larger (297x U joints).

-Alex

Thanks for the advice guys. A couple of more questions, are the BFG AT's a good tire that will last a long time? I've seen them at Sam's Club for 143 a piece, and my roommate said he saw them at Sear's for 120 something. Just wondering if they're worth the investment. Also, I was looking and rough country has rock sliders for the xj for 200 for a set, just wondering if they were worth it, and if they're easy to install. Finally, I got some off-road lights and wanted to install them on the bumper, what's the best place and method for doing so.

I ran bfg's on a lot of different vehicles for years, they wear really well. i recently changed to kuhmo KL 78 a/t.a more aggressive a/t tire, bigger voids between treads.excellnt siping and they clear mud a lot better. and the price can't be beat.

Back