• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you remove an axle shaft?

desertfox1023

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on doing a disc brake conversion using some 8.8 discs from an explorer. However in order to remove the backing plates I have to pull the 8.8 shafts. How do I do this? I know you have to remove the C-clips from inside the differential but I can't see where they are located or how to get to them. Any links or pics are appreciated.

I'm working on doing a disc brake conversion using some 8.8 discs from an explorer. However in order to remove the backing plates I have to pull the 8.8 shafts. How do I do this? I know you have to remove the C-clips from inside the differential but I can't see where they are located or how to get to them. Any links or pics are appreciated.

remove the cross shaft from the carrier. there should be a bolt holding it in, running parallel to the axle shaft holding the cross shaft in.
push the axle shaft in. you should see the c-clips hanging off the shafts if they don't fall off when you push the axle shaft in. remove c-clips, and remove axle shaft.

this is how the Dana 35 goes, should be similar for the 8.8

Back