• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making a roofrack/light bar

TwistedcaB

NAXJA Forum User
well i need to have a project for my welding class and im thinking i could probably make a cool rack out out of some 1" square tubing.

well i messed around with sketchup a bit and im thinking something along these lines. and thinking the light rack can swing down with areas with low brush so the light bar would be horizontal over the windshield, and also idk if i should make more bars goin acrost the bottom or have some kind of mesh or what..anyways heres some pics :2thumbsup:

RR1.jpg

RR2.jpg

RR3.jpg

I made my Roof Rack out of 1" square tubing and attached it with angle iron to the original mounts. We did not have a bender so we octagoned the ends. Heres what the finished product looked like. I intend to mount the lights to the bar on the front. No money for lights yet.

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

How do you plan on making the front light bar swing down? Here is an idea. Some butterfly hinges on the bottom and an outdoor electric actuator that you use with a switch from inside the cab to lower the light bar and even aim the lights.

As to your question about the bottom. That depends on what you're going to haul. If you're just putting a spare tire there what you have will probably be fine. If you're going to haul smaller stuff (like camping gear) I would use aluminum mesh as a bottom.

I didn't see any plan's for attaching it, I'd take a closer look at grinola's rack, or if you're just moving small stuff then consider some sort of gutter mount so that it's easily removable, but that would make your design wider. Either way, you'll have to weld on something to bolt through, cause since the roof is sloped you can't just lay it up there and bolt it down.

There is a major flaw in my rack. It isnt high enough off the roof. When I hit bumps they touch and drives me nuts. I had to put pading between them to stop it. I reccomend at least an 1" of spacing.

I know xxmidianxx will not mind me posted his rig sooo. This is the rack that he made. Not the best pic of it though. It has not giving him any issues yet that I am aware of. He's the red one

100_1245.jpg

allright some great ideas guys especially Housedivided i was wondering how i should do it. that would be pretty cool to be able to aim the lights from inside as long as it isnt to $$. wouldnt happen to have any links to em would ya? and does anyone know a writeup on how to make gutter mounts? or should i go out and just buy some?

I have made a couple roof racks, and mostly used 1 inch (3/4 actually) tubing. Here is the one on my jeep:

DSCN0547.jpg

DSCN0571.jpg

Here is the one I made for my Tacoma, which is very similar to your drawing. Its easy, and a great first project.

When I first built it:

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0099-2.jpg

Later, when I chopped off the side to accomodate a roof top tent, and added different lights.

SS100280.jpg

~James

Last edited:
130 watt bulbs, they are clear when they were on, and they are the biggest waste of money you will ever spend. I bought 8 of them from ebay, and might as well had lit the money on fire.

Seriously, save your money and get some quality lights. My Hella's have all been converted to HID and are awesome, some of the best money ive spent. I still have those crap lights rolling around in the shop somewhere... total garbage, seriously.

~James

Cheepass lights you want to use, broad daylight.

IMG_0230.jpg

at night:

SS100237.jpg

Hella's converted to HID broad daylight:

SS100223.jpg

At night (same spot as other cheap lights)

SS100230.jpg

~James

Also, after finding the prices on gutter mounts, I decided to make my own. They work very well.

DSCN0406.jpg

DSCN0432.jpg

~James

can you pm me some pics of those mounts? under the door also? i sold my rack last week cause it was way to big. but i like the way those mounts look. any problems with the rail coming off?

Back