• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tom woods driveshaft

MYRZ98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I cant believe it but my 7 month old lift on my daily driver (1998 xj) with 4.5 re ,sye and TW rear DS was making a horrible racket,I blamed my tcase rebuild for sye install and feared a tcase extraction,low and behold the new rear driveshafts double joint had a totally trashed needle bearing ,the one with the grease zerk in it! less than 7K on DS and joint trashed, the other caps had grease ( I lubed twice in this period),I just cant believe that with low miles like this the joint crapped,but on to my question, I'm in Illinois and they are in Utah,being winter here and I need my ride do I ship it back to TW and take a shipping beating or try to find replacement joints locally and try to rebuild joint? are these joints a bear to rebuild? Any thoughts appreciated.

first, call him and ask if the work will be covered under warranty. if no, rebuild yourself or take to someone local.

is your driveshaft angle correct? was the RE hack n tap installed correctly?

It was the heavy duty sye with new mainshaft, the tcase rolls smooth with no noise,the rebuild went fine, my ds angles I gave to TW before and after install and they said it was fine also,I just wonder if it was faulty u-joint from the beginning? 32x11.5 tires and 98 % of the mileage was highway.

Just call Tom and talk to him. He has great customer service. Everybody I have ever spoken to there are great. They will get you going. Tom is a good vendor. Let us know how it works out.

Just a suggestion... next time, call the vendor first. I think that you'll find that most vendors will have you taken care of in no time. Then, you can post here that you had the issue and that it was/was not taken care of by the vendor.

As it sits, it gives a sour taste to Tom Woods for those that don't come back and read your follow up, assuming that you post one.

I cant believe it but my 7 month old lift on my daily driver (1998 xj) with 4.5 re ,sye and TW rear DS was making a horrible racket,I blamed my tcase rebuild for sye install and feared a tcase extraction,low and behold the new rear driveshafts double joint had a totally trashed needle bearing ,the one with the grease zerk in it! less than 7K on DS and joint trashed, the other caps had grease ( I lubed twice in this period),I just cant believe that with low miles like this the joint crapped,but on to my question, I'm in Illinois and they are in Utah,being winter here and I need my ride do I ship it back to TW and take a shipping beating or try to find replacement joints locally and try to rebuild joint? are these joints a bear to rebuild? Any thoughts appreciated.

If you don't want to deal with sending the driveshaft back and waiting for it to return, you can repair the double cardan CV joint yourself, it doesn't take very long. I had to rebuild my front shaft when the center bearing started making a horendous noise. I took the shaft to my local Spicer distributor, Southbay Truck Supply, and they sold me the spicer parts including the ujoints and center bearing. I rebuilt in on my bench using a vice, a hammer, snap ring pliers and a couple sockets to drive the ujoints out. It sounds like you only need to replace one ujoint, which should be a fairly quick repair.

Here's a write up.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/doublecardan.php

Sorry for late reply,sick kids,anyway I called TW and plead my case, they chalked it up to a possible manufacturing defect in the u-joint and even though the warranty was long gone they took very good care of me, I pressed the new joints in and all is well,in the end I believe the reason for thier good rep is taking care of the customer.My total downtime was only a few days clear over here in Illinois.

Tom Woods thrives on word of mouth and goodwill to customers. He contributes -far more- than his sponsorship level requires to naxja (so does TNT Customs for that matter) and goes out of his way to make sure everyone with a woody has a smile too.

Yet another "Call HIM!" note.

I've got a rear TW shaft. The man has great customer service. I need a new front d/s, it'll be coming from him.

Based on everything I have read about Tom Woods, I am going there to get my SYE for my NP242. All I ever see is Tom Woods does it right, and right is what I want for my daily driver, and my baby.

He...goes out of his way to make sure everyone with a woody has a smile too.

I'm not touching that one with a 10-meter cattle prod! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Seriously though, if I had a 242, the TW SYE kit would be the only way I'd go!

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me! I had approximately the same mileage on my Tom Woods too. I had greased it probably 3 times in that short amount of time. Well of course it happened to me about 500 miles from home after a run. I drove it home with no problems other than the noise. Called Tom Woods and he basically told me that its a common problem they have been having. They buy the cardian joints in massive bulk orders and there is no way of telling that the manufacturer made a few hundredths of an inch mistake. I sent mine back from Ca and a week later it was back on my Jeep ready to roll. Oh and they took out a dana Spicer u-joint that I keep as a week spot at the yoke, and replaced it w/ another tom woods u-joint so now I have 2 spares.

Back