• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-joints vs. CV joints

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this question in the "non-tech section" and it got moved to the "other tech" section, which might as well be a banishment :bawl:. I know someone on here knows the answer as it could apply to an XJ with the 242 transfer case as well:

Got a '96 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 in it for a good price. The owner tells me the VC in it has been replaced, but when I turn the wheel hard I can feel wheel hop like its in 4wd. I've been told that it could just be U-joints that cause that (apparently some ZJs came with CV joints up front) and the putting CV joints on will cure it.

Sound right to anyone? It needs a new tranny, and I'm wondering if I should just hook up a 231 t-case or maybe a 242 t-case.

Yeah its full-time four wheel drive.

May have a bad CV Joint. Check for play.

I'am not sure what T-Cases will work with this trans.

Good Luck
Nick

If it's got Ujoints in the front axle, that could be the reason for a slight wheel hop at low speeds.

Without a doubt I would throw a different Tcase in there if at all possible. Why would you want to use a Tcase that is known for expensive failures of the VC??

yeah, I have a '93 ZJ with 318 V8 and I got it with a broken front CV and I swapped out the axle shafts with some ujoint shafts and it binds when turning at low speeds - I am swapping in a NP231 - the only thing I dont know it the length of the input shaft which I won't know until I take the case out and if its different I have to order the correct length or if mines too long I can cut it down :skull1:

Back