• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Military use? & XJ Adverts

Stevemedlock

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering whether XJs were ever in military service and if so if any pictures exist?

My other question relates back to long before Cherokees were imported into the UK. I can remember Ads with a photo of a guy digging a Jeep out of a snow drift and the caption was something like 'If I can find my Cherokee I can drive it'. Back then I didn't imagine that one day I would have one so I'd be interested to see any of those old ads again.

Steve.

In Tactical military service (in use as a combat vehicle) - no.
In military service as a commercial vehicle (support roles) - yes. Expect to see those as military police vehicles, etc.

Sorry, no pics.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I checked one out of the motor pool out on San Clemente Island back in 1997. It was not assigned to the SEALs but that is where some of their training takes place. Bone stock plain white Cherokee, manual trans, no air, no guages, it did have P/S. Used it to transport boat crews from the base camp to the docks during an exercise we held out there.

Here's a couple old ads. Sorry for the big pictures, they are desktop sized...

compass1024.jpg

missingperson1024.jpg

Hope that's what you were looking for! :eeks1:

Every AF base I've ever been stationed at or visited has an XJ or two on LE Patrol...here, they have one or two that are dedicated K-9 vehicles...I can try to take some pics sometime.

nice! I like those :)

Mine was and Army Corps of Engineers vehicle before I got a hold of it. It was a park ranger vehicle, but so far I can't really tell anything different from every other XJ. (not a police package i guess)

I have been deployed to Kuwait a few times and have seen a bunch of XJ's in use by the Kuwaiti military. Just basic XJ painted sand color.

I've seen one XJ in black and white at the local salvage yard. Options on it were real different - bench seat, rubber mats, handbrake under the dash, extra wiring for radios, etc. It's crushed and gone now. I asked about it at the time, I was told it was a college campus cruiser. So, don't expect a contract purchase LEO vehicle to resemble a Sport or Laredo. It could be different.

The pale green DOD two doors I've seen from motor pools seemed to be plain jane bucket seat versions, however. Nothing special there.

Lots of old Cherokee ads for sale on ebay. Didn't stumble across the one you referred to in your original post though. Google Jeep Cherokee Vintage Ads and you will find a bunch of good links.

I like it when the XJ passes the Chevy S-10 on the gravel road in the last ad.

Back