• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More driveline woes

ttboo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '87 XJ, AW4, NP242, D35 rear, just installed RE6030 3.5" kit - rear end is up by over 6", front sitting about 4". And I know I need an SYE, but the money I set aside had to go elsewhere in a hurry, so I'll have to wait a little longer... :-(

I've shimmed the rear axle to reduce vibes, but I'm still getting a nasty slapping sound on acceleration and decceleration. This seems to be coming from the slip yoke, which is sticking out 1" more than pre lift. There is a small but noticeable play between the yoke and the t-case output shaft, which disappears if I push the yoke in the extra inch.

Question: as a temporary fix, just to get it on the road, should I get a longer yoke or get the driveshaft extended? Or just not bother until I can afford the SYE?

Secondly, while messing around with all this, I had to remove the rear driveshaft and I noticed that I've lost 4-H. The lever seems to engage properly, and the light comes on, but the front driveshaft won't turn. Both 4-Lo and 4-part time work fine. Any ideas? Is my t-case sick?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Back