• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not your ordinary rocker protection?

That's why most of us run rock rails or cut out and weld in box steel. Either direction you're not going to lose any ground clearance over the uniframe rails.

I've never seen anything like that for XJs, but also, FWIW, I didn't notice any loss of clearence when I got my rails, if anything, I went over bigger stuff, knowing that if I came down on my rocker it would be fine, because that's what they are there for...to slide over stuff! Don't worry about the clearence, you'll lose like a couple of inches, maybe....

Being one of those who didn't have the option of cutting out 'good' rockers. I would have rather cut out good rockers, and welded in 2x4. As opposed to the rotted out crap that was left behind when I did mine. The rust didn't make welding much fun at all.

But as stated, with rocker guards, the minimal clearance you might lose, would be made up by the ability to drive over larger/difficult obstacles knowing your are protected.

Us XJ guys have an even better option than that! It's a little more involved, but THIS is the way to go!
Billy

That's a pretty good option only thing I would have done is finish it out with a big piece of flat stock covering the entire length making it more into a boatside.

This is what i did with mine. 1/4" plate slide surface and back, with 3/16" plate top. Gained about 4-5" clearance over my previous rockrails. Makes a huge difference on the trail!

i002.jpg

i003.jpg

while i highly approve of the route that mattyj went, i don't think that's an option for the OP. it certainly got me thinking though. i have a bit of rust to clean up, and i have rock rails. i can't decide if i should weld some sheet metal or whatever in and run the rock rails or just build it... i want to just build it... but oh well. anyway, cool pics.

Yeah I was looking for something like that but with countersunk holes so that you don't have to weld them and you also don't have to worry about ripping heads off of the hardware. 1/4" would be great if they are a bolt on design. I may just go with a set of sliders for now. Who makes some that will work with a RE long arm?

pretty sure JCR does. but contacting the vendor that you like the design of will let you know for sure.

My Jcr sliders don't interfere with my Clayton arms at all, I don't know for sure about how the RE long arms mount... But on JCR's site it does say long arm compatible... Good quality stuff from those guys also. I'd reccomend them :)

My Jcr sliders don't interfere with my Clayton arms at all, I don't know for sure about how the RE long arms mount... But on JCR's site it does say long arm compatible... Good quality stuff from those guys also. I'd reccomend them :)

I just took a look at those ones, and have looked at them before. I like the Stage 2 sliders. $255 + $5 for the RE LA set + $75 for shipping!:cry: That is almost $350 which is not what I want to spend. For that price I could pay someone here to fab up a set, and install them!

Will they give you a lifetime warranty, no questions asked? JCR does :) The initial price may be a little high, I thought so too when I ordered, but it's without a doubt worth it. Try PMing them, you just missed the big sale last friday, if you talk with them they may cut you a break on the price a little... Can't hurt to try :) Even if they can't, though... still well worth the price in my opinion.

A wrap around lower body lip on a Wrangler is usually sufficient because the rest of the body does not extend over that line.. Heftier ones can be properly used for turning on a rock. I have ones installed by SUN products. They are bulb shaped and extend beyond the body line.

Nerf Bar style ones are favored by stock bodied XJs because they extend out from the lower body and protect everything up to the body line/ parking lot trim from damage. Ground clearance with nerf types isn't really an issue as they usually do not extend below the "frame". There are also body hugger styles of these, but IMO the boddy hugger ones don't protect as well and are nothing but a rust trap in the salt belt.

As mentioned above, there are sources for Wrangler style rocker protection, and it isn't that hard to make at home either using the score/bend/fill method.

Back