• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ steering box. Better? Stronger?

tonofclay2

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at TnT's front bumper, which I love, and wondered if what they said about upgrading to the YJ steering box is beneficial? I think it has 1 more bolt than our XJ's, but stronger? Worth it?

"4-Bolt Saginaw Steering Box Upgrade

XJ's & MJ's come with a 2.4:1 variable ratio steering box. Though nice on the street, this can make steering difficult when offroad. Replacing your stock steering box with a 3.2:1 fixed ratio 4-bolt steering box (from a YJ) will increase your control offroad and improve steering those oversized tires on the street. Aside from the steering performance improvement, you'll benefit from adding a forth mounting bolt between your steering box and uni-body. We have personally broken the stock 3-bolt variable ratio steering box and where left stranded. Don't let this be you, upgrade your steering when you order your bumper. "

The reason it's "stronger" is because of the fact that it has that 4th bolt. It also is an improvement, as mentioned, with the ratio difference. It does help alot. I did this swap, not difficult at all. I used the spacer from the YJ as well, the one between the frame and box, to accommodate the 4th bolt, then just drilled a hole in the XJ. The spacer in the XJ's is aluminum and prone to crumbling. I know mine started to... Cheap and easy upgrade that helps with steering... I would recommend it :)

Does that difference in Ratio make you turn the wheel more for a turn?

I think my steering box is trash, the front end is tight, tracks great on the highway. Its just i can move the wheel almost half way before the tires even move.

Yes, I believe so. But as it says, it's a fixed rather than variable ratio, which I personally like more. Also, by having the longer ratio, you have more control of your exact tire placement I suppose (I haven't really noticed a difference there, but it would technically be an advantage) and also the fact that it will take less effort to actually turn the wheel (this on the other hand, i HAVE noticed, not a ton, but to a degree). Your steering box isn't necessicarily junk, there are other things that could be bad, play in the steering shaft, bad tie rod ends, a tie rod end may be "rolling", creating the dead spot you're experiencing... But, if you do the steering box swap, you'll be doing a cheap and relatively easy upgrade, so sure! Why not. It won't hurt anything, and will improve your turning power. Also be sure to look into the other areas of your steering system though :) HTH

Does anyone know if this steering box came in anything else besides the YJ? YJ's are not exactly an everyday jeep in a junkyard around here.

Does anyone know if this steering box came in anything else besides the YJ? YJ's are not exactly an everyday jeep in a junkyard around here.

From experience, a junk yard steering gear is something that I would recommend. I bought my YJ box from AutoZone and was like, $175 or something...I can't remember, but my brother has bought two used boxes and both were shot within a year. He too bought a new one.

Grand Wagoneers have the same box, i got one from a 90 grand wagoneer in my 95xj

any one have a link for this exact box?

Back