• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ starts then dies. Bad CPS?

sflasal

NAXJA Forum User
Took the nine year old fishing. Jeep started and ran great to the fishing hole but wouldn't start when it was time to go back home.

It would start, but as soon as the ignition was moved from START back to RUN, it died.

I have good spark, and I get lots of fuel (took off the fuel line where it goes into the injectors, when turning the key I get a nice squirt)

Where do the experts suggest I start my troubleshooting? Crank position sensor? Throtle position sensor? New ignition switch?

Thanks,
Sal

Doesn't your vintage have a white ceramic ballast resistor on the firewall? If memory serve me right, if that resistor goes south, it could give you the symptoms you are seeing. Try jumpering a small wire between the connectors. Your fuel pump may be a bit noisier but it may get you going again. If that doesn't work, ignition switch could be suspect I suppose.....

Doesn't your vintage have a white ceramic ballast resistor on the firewall? If memory serve me right, if that resistor goes south, it could give you the symptoms you are seeing. Try jumpering a small wire between the connectors. Your fuel pump may be a bit noisier but it may get you going again. If that doesn't work, ignition switch could be suspect I suppose.....

Birchlake,
Thanks for the reply.
I don't see any type of ceramic ballast on the firewall. I'm assumig you mean engine side and not up under the dash.

Was the ceramic ballast on the RENIX engines? I do NOT have a RENIX.

Sal

Ballast resistors for sure on RENIX models, but I thought they existed for a time after that as well. Does anybody know exactly what year they stopped using them on the XJ??

Back