• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Interchange

RustyBlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
From looking around here, it appears that all 91+ 231 transfer cases are the same spline count. Are there any other issues to worry about between years? Basically I want to know if I can put a 98 231 in a 94. I'm thinking since one is a 97+, it might have different electronics but want to confirm.

I'm pretty sure the 98 231 will have a VSS (magnetic speedo trigger) and a different output (not a slip yoke)

Your 94 has a mechanical drive speedometer cable yes?

I'm not sure on the speedo cable, but I believe it is mechanical; it is owned by a friend of mine. I just know it's a 94 AX-15 and after he let his daughter drive it for a few months it has a hole in the transfer case housing.

As long as you're not swapping internals, the main issue will be with the speedometer actuation - as long as you go mechanical/mechanical or electric/electric, you should be fine.

This would be assisted by the fact that there's no real sane reason to have changed the mounting significantly - so you can probably just swap the speedo pinion housing to convert. I have yet to open a line of comms with NVG to ensure that this is so, but it's on the list of questions I have for them.

If you are swapping internals, know that the helix angle of most of the gears inside got changed around 1994 or 1995, so note the vintage of the case you've installed so you can get the right replacement parts (the chain may also have changed slightly - and there were signficant differences when changing vehicle lines.)

I want to swap a 97 242 into my 93. I'm assuming I'd just keep my speedo housing and put that on the 242. or would I keep the housing on the 242 and would the plug be the same on a 97 242 as a 93 231?

Back