• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm not seeing the rear main seal

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the pan and I'm not sure I see the rear main seal. The only bolts I see seem to be bolts holding flat piece of metal that runs the length of the engine. Little direction please ;)

The rear main seal is directly in front of the flywheel/driveplate. You have to remove the rear main bearing cap and pry the old seal half out of the bearing cap with a small screw driver. To remove the upper half, simply use a small brass punch and hammer. Carefully tap the punch upwards on one side of the seal, it will turn and start coming out the otherside, once you are able to get a pair of needle nose pliers on the protruding side, pull it slowly out until the full half is removed. Avoid damaging the crankshaft with the hammer. Remember there are two pieces to this seal, upper and lower halves. If you're still confused go out and buy a Haynes Repair Manual for your rig, Good Luck,
James

The rear main seal sits within the limits of the pan correct? I have the manual but it doesn't help me here. I have a flat piece of metal that runs the entire length of the engine. It looks like I would need to unbolt that to get to any type of seal.

Maybe this will help. Lots of pictures:
http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811

I had the same "flat peice of metal". They call it a "bearing cap brace" in the write up. I had to remove it to get to the bearing cap.

They show a little peice of platic to help with inserting the new seal. Mine didn't come with that, so I made my own out of some old platic. It made the job of inserting the new seal much easier... for me anyway.

Maybe this will help. Lots of pictures:
http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811

I had the same "flat peice of metal". They call it a "bearing cap brace" in the write up. I had to remove it to get to the bearing cap.

They show a little peice of platic to help with inserting the new seal. Mine didn't come with that, so I made my own out of some old platic. It made the job of inserting the new seal much easier... for me anyway.

That makes sense! What torque did you tighten the brace back down 2?

Thanks again!

That makes sense! What torque did you tighten the brace back down 2?

Thanks again!

I seem to remember 75 or 85lbs on the bearing caps. $15 for a decent manual will help there. ;)

Good write-up there...the only thing I'd add is that you can loosen (just a little) the next two bearing caps to help the crank take pressure off the upper half of the rear main. I did two of them that way and it worked out real well.

The write says to use 35 ft/lbs for the brace:

13. Install the bearing brace and torque the bolts to 35ft.lbs.

The write says to use 35 ft/lbs for the brace:

13. Install the bearing brace and torque the bolts to 35ft.lbs.

It also says:

12. Install the main bearing cap and torque the bolts to 80ft.lbs.

;)

My 95 and the 93 I worked on didn't have bearing braces. Interesting. Never knew of such a thing.

I think the bearing brace was on later models?? My 97 has it... but the write up I was using didn't show one??

I think you are suppose to install the bearing cap at 80. The bearing brace goes on the same bolts as the bearing cap, and that should be torqued to 35.

I THINK that is what I did... but it's been several months and I honestly don't remember. :)

Back