• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dying after short distances ... vapor lock?

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Here are the symptoms.

1. When filling the gas tank the pump shuts off every half gallon or so. It takes 10 minutes to fill because the nozzle thinks it's full.

2. The rig recently started dying while driving. No warning - just BOOM dead. I let it sit a few minutes, then it will fire back up and run for 1 to 20 minutes then it dies again.

Here is what I was thinking:
My guess is that the two symptoms are related and that my vent line is clogged. BUT, even if I remove the gas cap all together and allow the tank to vent, the thing still dies.

Ideas? The XJ and the motor are in excellent mechanical shape. The engine only has 30k miles on it and runs strong. I have not replaced to fuel filter or fuel pump

I have symptom #1, but not #2... Due to a smashed gas tank, though lol. Does it lose power or anything? From what your saying it seems like just out of the blue, as if it literally ran out of gas. Vapor lock would make sense to me... Maybe a bad filter, idk if you've replaced it?

edit: I see you said that the pump/filter have not been touched. I'd give that(the filter) a try first, cheap and easy...certainly won't hurt

filter, then pump, check and replace.

also, try pulling the pump nozzel back out about 3/4 in from the tank. If you shove it in too far it will cut off more often.

The next time it quits.. check for fuel at the rail and then check for spark.

The filling up problem sounds like a vent problem like a kinked or clogged vent hose..

Good Luck
Nick

Back