• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken parking brake release button

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
So I had my XJ shipped cross country. It came through mostly unscathed, except somehow they managed to brake off the release button on the parking brake handle, and now the darn thing won't latch. I guess there must have been a spring or something in there. Anybody had to replace that before? Looks like I'll have to replace the metal rod and the spring, or maybe I'll just grab a whole handle at the junk yard.

hah, a week after getting mine I accidently hit the handle hard and the button shot me in the leg, yes there's a spring behind it and the fix is mostly annoying. It's probably easier to get a whole handle... I instead found a random spring, cut it to the right length, then put a yellow wire-twisty-thingy (ah it's late and I can't remember, I'm a practiced electrician, just can't remember...) on the end of the rod, and that's how it sits now. I fiddled with it too much a while back and made the ratchet thing fall out of the inside of the handle, so I had to take it apart, but if yours is still in tact a small (but strong) spring and one of those caps should thread right on...

sorry if that was convoluted, my brain is in many places right now... haha

I tried to fix mine by jb welding the button back onto the rod, but its almost impossible to clamp with the spring in there fighting you the whole time, so the button dried and stuck but wasn't fully engaged on the rod so the spring couldn't get enough tension on it to make everything work.

long story short, just get a new handle and save yourself the hassle

Hall. I fixed it in a difficult way. haha.
I cutted the rod (my tread was worn). Flatted it with a grinder and soldered a new
thin rod with thread against it. I used a new locknut and now you can easy bond with glue the button back. :wave1:

Last edited:
I did that with mine, just replaced the handle.

This same problem happened to me about 3 years after I purchased the Jeep.
The heat of the Southern California sun baking on the interior and the constant use of the emergency brake (since I have a manual transmission) fatigued the plastic button.
Went to the dealer and inquired about a replacement button. The parts clerk informed me that I need to purchase the entire handle and mechanism for more than $70...
Decided that instead of trying to fix the plastic button which would probably break again anyway; I would fabricate a new one...
Searched around in the scrap bin at work and found a piece of solid 5/8" aluminum rod, step drilled a hole in the middle where the spring seats and then drilled two holes 90* opposed and tapped threads for allen screws.
The allen screws would tighten against the barbed rod and hold the button on.
Then used a belt sander to taper the surface where your thumb rests when pressing the button and finished off the button with black paint.

The fabricated part has worked perfectly for the past 8 years.... and cost me NOTHING except an hour of my time rumaging thru the scrap bin.

Hallo CharlesS, I know the feeling, it gives you so much satisfaction to repair broken things without paying to much.
Even if it is only a release button. I hope that more people go for it in the future.
Well the economic situation will give the first move.:repair:

'92 XJ

Back