• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is necessary to take the radiator out to remove the mech. fan shroud?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if anyone has replaced their mechanical fan shroud before on a 4.0 I6 XJ - is it necessary to remove the radiator to get it in? Mine is missing and I am adding one....just curious what I will have to remove so it doesn't bind and crack or something when I'm pushing it in at full force :hang:

Thanks!

just take the fan blade off the pulley it is bolted onto. it should have 4 bolts connecting the fan blade and clutch onto the pulley itself.
then put the shroud in then bolt the fan back in.

Shomsky462 said:
just take the fan blade off the pulley it is bolted onto. it should have 4 bolts connecting the fan blade and clutch onto the pulley itself.
then put the shroud in then bolt the fan back in.
X2. By removing the fan blades you can fit in the shroud in. Good Luck

Woody

I trimmed about 1/2" off of the bottom of the shroud. Slides in & out real easy. JIM.

With a transfer case lowering kit...it tilts the engine back a bit...making it east to fit the shroud between the fan and the radiator. Just my 2-cents...for an '89 XJ...

I broke my fan shroud removing it on one side on the bottom, left the tab intact so I cut the other side off, same spot, leaving the other tab there, now it's U shaped and slides in and out. One note, while that solid piece appeared to do nothing there was a noticable temp increase on the gauge when stopped or during extended idling. I have a new shroud and a new radiator that I plan on putting in this week, the original one is still in there with over 310,000mi on it.
That shroud does make a difference...

I forgot the bottom of my shroud is missing also. It happened when the pass. side motor mount bolts let go. I noticed no difference in temps. It is running cooler with the new rad. JIM.

Yeah, that's how my old fan was. I never realized the bottom was missing until I got this new shroud. No wonder the old one was so easy to remove, but I still managed to crack it.

No problem. FYI,
s.gif
carpartswholesale is the seller I bought mine from.

Back