• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition ?? (coil)

sloppyjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 ZJ and I know this is for the XJ's but the motor is about the same(4.0) and figured that someone here would know what I could do. I want to put a hotter ignition coil on it does anyone have any stories on which to get or stay away from? I mean for the 4.0 r they about the same even though the vehicles are different? Anywhere you know what I need and I am sure one of you's has some help for me if you need more info just let me know what I can tell you and I will. Tanks JOE>

Why for? The stock HO ignition system is just fine. You usually end up installing a hotter coil to complement other mods (forced induction, stroker, whatever) rather than installing one strictly on its own.

I'm fairly sure the ZJ 4.0 used the same ChryCo coil that that vintage of XJ did - in which case, MSD makes a replacement - and I'm fairly sure that Accel and Mallory do as well. Still, I'd not bother, unless you've done something else to the engine. There are better ways to do the job that won't cost as much (plug indexing comes to mind - which you can do for free or close to it...)

5-90

Right on, thanks. I am getting ready to install the Banks TT, and an intake from the 2000+ 4.0. I just figured a little extra spark would not hurt. I guess I will tackle that demon when it comes time. JOE>

Sweet bor thanks for the advice. I used to be on here everyday, when I had an XJ, but I feel that my Jeep is a cousin to the XJ and we can help exchange knowledge. Its all good to me, I love XJ's and I love ZJ's, hell I love every Jeep(with strait axles). Thanks for the help. JOE>

Back