• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problem

Kevin

NAXJA Forum User
Posting this question in OEM b/c I think the problem is OEM even though it showed up when installing my new winch.

Here is the chain of events:

1. XJ working fine.
2. Went to install new winch. Realized that aftermarket fog lights need to be moved. Disconnect them. Left relay and wiring in place for future reinstallation.
3. Install winch. Power works, everything is fine.
4. Jeep sits for a week or so.
5. Try to start, dead battery. Can't jump or charge the Battery (second time this has happened with a RedTop).
6. New battery. XJ Starts fine.
7. Sits for a couple of days, can't start, low battery voltage. New battery accepts charge. Able to start XJ. Disconnect winch at this point figuring the wiring is messed up.
8. Let it sit for a day and the bat voltage is down again. Now I have to disconnect the bat everytime I drive.

Question: is there a probable location for the short? If not, any recommendations on how to diagnose?

It is a 95, manual tranny.

Thanks,

K

Sounds like a short someplace. You may have pinched a wire during the winch installation. Try pulling all the fuses and then checking for current draw by putting a test light between the positive terminal and the disconnected positive battery wire. If the there is no draw, then replace them one at a time to isolate the problem.

Back