• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new motor...what to paint borla with?

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
hey all.

I just picked up a complete 1995 xj drivetrain with a mopar reman 4.0 that's bored .030 from what I can find. it's everything I need to convert my 87 MJ to HO.

anyways, I tore the motor down to the longblock and left the pan on, because it only has 3k miles on it...and I'm painting it.

here's how it looks right now
SSPX0490.jpg

SSPX0491.jpg

SSPX0492.jpg

SSPX0494.jpg

that borla header looks lonely. it's just a little bit scuffed/dirty/rusty-ish and I'd like to know of something permanent to fix the problem. I don't think that just steel wooling it will keep it from corroding since it has already begun (this is a used borla, with no cracks). I was thinking of powder coating or a ceramic coat or something.
any ideas?

the stainless is beginning to actually rust a bit right now.

is there a suitable way to clean it, and make it so that I won't have rusting issues with it?

I know it's stainless, but apparently borla quality only goes as far as the bends, and the welds...

thanks for the opinions so far. and yes, should it get coated at all, it will be black. the 2000 intake will be orange, or polished and clear coated.

Or you can go total cheap ass and get some rattle can black grill paint...like 4 bucks and its done.

ive never seen any spray paint last on a header, even paint specific for headers good up to 1000*(says the can). just not a quality way of doing it IMO.

Whatever you do, don't powder-coat it. Powder coat will burn up on a header, plus no one will do it. I would polish it, or do the next best thing and pay for Jet Hot.

I have seen people have it done. They use a ceramic powder, costs a bit more than normal powdercoating. A buddy just did this on his mustang headers. IDK, just jet hot it and be done.

Or you can go total cheap ass and get some rattle can black grill paint...like 4 bucks and its done.

not an option.

My requirement is that it's going to look good for longer than a week. I tried your idea on the headers I built when i put the 3.8 camaro motor in my 86 MJ...literally held for a week.

Jet-Hot is what I've gotten out of everyone. polishing is the first option, jet-hot is the second option. wrapping is NOT an option. it gets wheeled. I don't need it to hold water.

Back