• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front wheel drive

akrazgpr

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone driven on the street in 4wd hi with the rear driveshaft removed ? I want to start installation of my lift but dont have the rear driveshaft yet, will driving like this hurt anything? BTW its a 97 so Ican remove the rear driveshaft without losing AT fluid from the xfer case...right??

Thanks AJ

If you don't have a SYE installed you will loose fluid.

Other than that it can be done. Just be careful with the throttle or you may stretch your t-case chain.

Scott Mac. said:
If you don't have a SYE installed you will loose fluid.

He already said it was a 97+ ,so it will not leak fluid!

What kind of milage are we talking about? Its not a real big deal if you can keep the miles(and more important the speed) down.

I drive about 30 miles a day . For at least a week...so 150 miles?
Why would driving in 4WD without the rear drive stretch the chain..doesnt in turn all the time any way?

RCP Phx said:
He already said it was a 97+ ,so it will not leak fluid!

What kind of milage are we talking about? Its not a real big deal if you can keep the miles(and more important the speed) down.

I didn't realize that after '96 XJs didn't have slip yokes in the t-case from the factory.:confused:

When driving in 2 hi there is no load on the chain in the t-case.

It's been my experience that when drivin' in front wheel drive with a 100% of the power on the chain, that it can stretch.

Scott Mac. said:
I didn't realize that after '96 XJs didn't have slip yokes in the t-case from the factory.:confused:

When driving in 2 hi there is no load on the chain in the t-case.

It's been my experience that when drivin' in front wheel drive with a 100% of the power on the chain, that it can stretch.

Scott, in '97 they changed the design so that the seal wasn't reliant on the slip-yoke being present. It's internally sealed now, therefore you can remove the rear DS and yoke and not have any leakage. Trust me, I've done it. HTH

Ary

P.S. I drove around for 3 weeks in FWD, I wouldn't recommend it, but my T-case hasn't blown up yet....

I drove on it for a week in fwd and even took it wheeling didnt have a problem with the t-case but it did rip my upper controller arm in half on ds and tore the mount off on ps.

Back