• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What muffler sounds best?

TheDiabetic

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to get some opinions about what mufflers sounds good while leaving stock pipes. Any sound clips or vids? Flowmaster magnaflow? What do you guys like. I'm looking for something deeper or more melow.

Oh on the 4.0ho of course.

go to youtube and search for some clips of the 4.0 or search here for the million threads on mufflers.

what sounds good to me might not sound good to you.

for instance, i think stock or something similar sounds the best on a 4.0 and anything louder sounds like its missing 2 cylinders

I had a flowmaster on a YJ with the 4.0. Sounded really nice. Not too loud, but still would growl. Borla sounds good but is super expensive. I guess it depends on if you want a loud exhaust or a deep tone or whatever.

Saying what sounds best is difficult to say the least. It is a bit like saying 'Go to Payless Shoe Store and buy this".

I have the Rusty's cat-back with Flowmaster 50 and 2.5" pipe all the way out. Many people say they love the sound. I hated it from the first day. I thought it would grow on me. 9 months later, I changer the 2.5" pipe to 2.25" . The sound is much better(in my book ) and I did not loose any performance.

Post #2 has good advice.

I've also got the rusty/flowmaster catback system. It has the typical flowmaster sound. Not abnoxous but not stock either, a good performance sound, it's good a medium. The best thing about it is that the flowmaster muffler is heavier walled and fully welded instead of rolled sheetmetal that tends to peel open. It will stand up to hard wheeling that will trash most others.

I run a flowmaster 40 and no cat. stock size pipe which is 2.25'' if I remember right. I think it sounds great.It's not a v-8 burble but it does make you take notice climbing a hill at 3k in 4lo. It's loud enough that I can hear it and it will pop and burble with a nice tone. It may drone on the highway but I can't hear it over my pitbulls, those sound like a cessna running right next to you on the highway. Do a search though everybody has some setup that they swear by. Asking this kind of question is like asking every man in the USA who is the best looking Olsen twin...:confused1 Can't give the correct answer. Go on you tube and find some clips see which one closely matches your wants and needs. I will say that between the exhaust and tires my 4mth old daughter can't stay awake in the backseat.

Parakeet

Dynomax. But any straight through type sounds best IMO. And if you're worried about volume or it droning, then get two Dynomax's, or two of whatever using one as a "resonator". You wouldn't believe how effective two "glasspacks" (as long of one that will fit) can be at killing some volume and sounding good.

i have a flowmaster 40 with no cat. and ive been stopped by lots of people asking how i got my 4.0L so deep. you may not want it that deep and loud, but im 18 and im ok with it..haha

i have a flowmaster 40 with no cat. and ive been stopped by lots of people asking how i got my 4.0L so deep. you may not want it that deep and loud, but im 18 and im ok with it..haha
haha, you know what they say.. if its too loud, you're too old!
But honestly, that has GOT to be really annoying loud.

I have a gibson. It sounds great but its kind of big and it doesn't look like it would take abuse too well.

i have a straight through magnaflow oval muffler. i think it sounds good. deep and mellow. not hollow sounding like a flowmaster IMO

haha, you know what they say.. if its too loud, you're too old!
But honestly, that has GOT to be really annoying loud.

its really not bad at all. its a lot deeper at idle and sounds really good at 3K+. turn the country music up and it fine...lol

Spin Tech mufflers. Great power & sound. They look low budget, but are the best we've used. Super durable too. Will stand up to rock damage unlike others.

Back