• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

worried: jeep acting weird in thrid

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so under heavy acceleration my jeep losses power, then knocks and pops. i can feel the knocks in the pedals. generally in 2nd or third i thought it was my auto trans needing fluid but its good. i have to slow into another gear and floor it to by pass that gear or it'll do it again.

help please!!!

-Ian

I'd test the throttle position sensor. It can be responsible for some symptoms that can be confused for the transmission itself, especially the one regarding acceleration.

ok well it seriously started to slip on the highway, so i have to get under the jeep today! im going to be checking the throttle sensor, and all fluids, and look for leaks/damaged parts

If it's a Renix and bucks at a round 2000 RPM it may be the O2 sensor. Another sign it's the O2 sensor is if you can't get any more than around 3500 RPM out of it while driving.
When the O2 sensor si going out they can run lean and buck (which feels much like a tranny or lockup problem) under certain throttle/vacuum conditions.

When the O2 sensor si going out they can run lean and buck (which feels much like a tranny or lockup problem) under certain throttle/vacuum conditions.

i thought when an o2 is bad or is going bad, it will cause it to run rich. im not argueing the point, i just need some clarification, as i would like know.

lets start over, what year is your jeep?

when was the last tune up and throttle body and iac cleaning?

how old is the cat convertor?

have you tested fuel pressure? popping/backfiring and buckling under heavy load could be a fuel pressure issue.

Back