• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 explorer, 8.8?

Kevinma255

NAXJA Forum User
I found an explorer at a local body shop/impound/junk yard. It is parked in a way that I can not get under or behind it.

Is there any way I can know if it is a 8.8 before I ask the guy to move stuff and pull it.

there is also a 98 XJ in the yard with a reciever on the back. it looked to be an 8.25 but again, not a clear line of sight. there were a couple other possible doners but they all looked like D35s, even an older grand had what looked like a 35 in it.

what do you guys think of using a rear from a full size bronco. should be either a 9inch or a D60 but I did not verify it.

it comes down to wanting to make the right decision before I spend money. I am running 33s and no real lift on a trail only XJ. Currently running the D35 with no problems but on inspection I now have a slightly out of line tube. I dont baby it so the next trip to RC will probably be its last. (play TAPS here)

I know there are a lot of threads about rears on here but it seems like opinions keep changing so any new input would be apreciated.

Thanks

It's an 8.8. 31 spline with drums. Most people like the newer explorers with the disc, but if you don't mind using the drums it will work fine.

if there is a 98 XJ there, chances are it will have the 8.25 in it that is a 29 spline. It would be a direct bolt in and your done. The 8.25 is a decent axle and will take abuse. Now granted it will not take the abuse a D60 will, but if you learn to drive your rig with in its capabilities, it should last you a while. I have been running a 8.25 with a Powertrax locker for years on 33 TSL's and not had a problem.

thanks for the sugestion but I am not realy looking for an easy swap, just cheap and tuff with options for the future. I enjoy the fabricating involved. I like that when I am done I may see somone with a similar setup but it will not be exactly the same.

I told them to go ahead and pull it. They are only going to want $150 for the complete unit including the drums and wheels if I want them. I figure if I go to harrys and do teh job myself It will cost me the same and I will spend hours fighting with hand tools in the cold and dirt.

If anybody wants the Dana 53 I thought I was going to use let me know. It is in good shape just hard to find parts for and has a 4inch offset. I got it off CL and just reposted it for 125 but if you want it I got it for 80 and will sell it for the same.

One reason people look for 96 and up Explorers with disk brakes is that you know it is going to have 31 spline axles. Be careful that you don't end up with a 28 spline version.

Back