• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big problem??????

xplorer7234

NAXJA Forum User
any help on this would be greatly appreciated, i have a 90 xj, its pretty big pos but its my lil project, and about a week ago i went and got an emissions test on it and failed pretty bad, but any ways changed plugs wires, fuel air, and oil filter along with fluids, but anyways to my problem right after that, as soon as my battery is hooked up my fuel pump starts up and i get pressure in my fuel line, and it will eventually drain my battery, so my initial thought was it to be a relay and i pulled every relay i could find hooping it would stop and no it didnt, so then i was think the ignition lock cylinder was fucked up thinking that its stuck at on and not off, but before i go and take all that off i was hoping to see if any body had any better ideas or anything really any kind of help even with removing the steering wheel because i went to take it off and one of the bolt hole threads are stripped out,

i would look at the ignition switch(not the key cylinder) at the base of the column. sometimes they melt and bridge the curcuit.

i believe the fuel pump relay is in the engine bay behind the battery under the black tray.

yea all those relay i pulled and could still here it running do you know how to change the ignition switch is it a very in depth process, and thank you for the idea,

on a '90, the pump should only run for a couple seconds even if the switch was stuck in the "on" position. The ECU should only send a signal to the fuel pump relay for initial priming of the pump for about 3 seconds whether it's from you turning the lock cylinder or from a short in the switch. I'd hazard a guess that the wiring at the relay socket has corroded or melted and is causing a bypass of the relay itself.

thanks dam and shorty, ive actually been trying my ass off off for the last few days idk if im missing ssomething or what but i feel retarded for this but i cant get the steering wheel off at first i tried with a steering wheel remover, but the threads on one of the bolt holes were fucked up so i ended up getting .32 steel wire really strong stuff if over lapped and wrapt it probably 30 times on each side and cranked down on it and it broke the wire, i soaked it in wd 40 tried to pry it off i cant get the damn thing off but im determined ill get it off, lol ive taken off the horn button/cover the 3 retaining/vibration screws and then the main nut on the shaft if there is something plz let me know and as soon as i get it off im gonna replace the ignition switch and lock cylinder. and just to further clarify SHORTY are u talking about the box the relay sits in and thanks again for all the good info

If you have the 3 spoke steering wheel like I do. I would imagine you would be able to use a jaw type puller. Just put the pullers arms under a part it can grip. Just an idea to try. Good luck.

Yes you have to use a puller to get the steering wheel off of the old GM style columns. You can usually rent these from Advance Auto or AutoZone.

i got the steering wheel off about 5 min ago but i have to go to work in about 5 more min tomorrow i have plans to change the lock cylinder and switch if that doesnt work then to the wires and all the reason im holding off on the wires is because if its that pulling the wheel would of been pointless so idk ill keep you informed and thanks again

i got the steering wheel off about 5 min ago but i have to go to work in about 5 more min tomorrow i have plans to change the lock cylinder and switch if that doesnt work then to the wires and all the reason im holding off on the wires is because if its that pulling the wheel would of been pointless so idk ill keep you informed and thanks again

On the topic of wheel pulling, the lil "c" clip and retainer plate is the biggest challenge. The key cyl is the easy part.......

Since your's is a 90 (Renix) just unplug one of the connections from the fuel pump ballast resistor on the driver's side fenderwall. Not a permanent fix but should stop any power from reaching the fuel pump so it can stop draining your battery.

thats actually what im currenty doing as of rights now i changed the switch nad lock cylinder, and still have the problem so tomorrow im off and im heading to the junk yard and pulling the relay wiring harness

have you checked the Orange wire (pin4) on the fuel pump relay socket? what was the voltage? It should not have anything on it unless there is a ground being passed from the ECU to the fuel pump relay(located directly opposing the coil output to the dist.) with the relay in the socket. Also here is a link on this site for the colum: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939364

Back