• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple more lift questions

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
i am planning on stacking 2 and 1 inch coil spacers on my 89 xj for 3 inches of lift, if i can find zj coils for cheap i might add those also. i also plan on cutting the fenders if i need to to fit 32x11.50s on there

Im planning on doing a bastard pack in the rear. I know there is many options to what i can do for this but im looking for the best way.

how much can i lift the rear before it affecting the driveshaft angle?. I dont really want to add sye or lower the transfer case. i was thinking i could aim between 3.5-4, I have a set of non greasable shackles ive had lying aroud for a while i was going to use also. should i just get a set of xj or mj leafs? or should i go with s10 leafs?

also does it affect anything having the rear a inch or so higher then the front?

I had to drop the t/c on my 88 at 3" but some people evidently get away with 4" before they have problems. I'd go the F-150 coil route rather than stacking spacers. We got more lift from the Ford coils than with the V8 ZJ coils & a 1 3/4" spacer & no spacer "clunk" either. Of course now my kid runs the Ford coils and the spacer for almost 5" of lift, but they are noisey again. Time for the R.E. 4 1/2" coils. You see a lot of XJs that point downhill, I think they might even be an inch higher in the back stock. After he installed his new Pro-Comp leaves, my kids rig pointed downhill so he put the spacers back in the front.When it was higher in the back it handled a little goofy, but not too bad.

When I got my RE 3.5" kit the full leaf packs sat about 2" higher, now settled down to about 1" higher so I threw a 1" spacer in there to even it out. I don't have a t-case drop, just a 4 degree shim in the rear, worked fine for the 4.5" of lift I'm sitting at. Plus since you have an older XJ you might be able to go higher than my '98, for some reason the older ones can go higher. I've seen a few at 6" of lift with just a t-case drop and they said it works fine.
As far as leaves go, my first lift was an S10 pack in the rear. All I kept was my stock main leaf and used S10 leaves after that. It lifted it about 5", a little vibes but nothing I worried about, no t-case drop or shim either. I also went ahead and ran Monroe Gasmatic shocks off a Ford F-250, those are good for a lot of lift in the rear, but make sure you get the longer set.
There's a whole build-up that I took a lot of notes from as far as what shocks to get, part numbers, etc. here:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm
He used Dodge Dakota leaves, but it works the same. It's gonna be stiff.

Back