• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveline or Transfer case noise.

XJFever

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee and when I put it in 4WD, I get this grinding noise coming from that area. I took it to a transmission shop, and after just "looking at it" they said that I probably have a bad bearing in there.

I took it to another guy who said to remove the front drive line, and if the noise goes away, that was the problem. So I did this and got no noise. So I swapped out the drive line with another used one. And now this one squeaks and makes the grinding noise.

Is it a coincidence that I got 2 drive lines that went bad. Or does it sound like my 4WD is the problem.

On another note, once I'm in 4WD its pretty much stuck there until I stop, put it in reverse, then put it back in drive. Usually when I'm switching back to drive I'm going like 5-10 mph. I even do the little give-it-gas-then-let-go trick.

I had a similar problem. I think your driveshaft is most likely fine. I really doubt that both shafts were bad. So, that leaves you with the front differential bearings or the transfer case bearing. Look at your front differential. Any leaks? Any abnormal play in the yoke? Check the TC yoke as well. Probably best to do this with the driveshaft out.

need some clarification, my 94 auto 4.O does the same thing it grinds in 4HI or in 4lo intermitently, but isnt the front driveline turning even when the 4wd is not engaged? if it was a yoke , the front differential or any related bearing would be making noise at all times , or just when the 4wd is engaged? or it only does it under load? please some help ...
German

I'm having a similar problem. just purchased a '94 automatic and when in neutral by attempting to shift from 2hi to 4hi, the tcase makes a winding up- grinding noise until the car is either quickly thrust into park or turned off. it's a horrible noise. what's interesting is that when in 4Lo, there is no sound at all and i'm getting performance from both ends. hoping its only one part inside the tcase that's bad, but i don't konw anything about them. could someone explain how things might be working or what might be wrong?

You don't need to put it in neutral to shift from 2hi to 4hi - the manual states you can shift into 4hi at any legal speed on the street with no precautions, I do it all the time in the winter. Don't do it on dry pavement, only dirt/gravel, and while traveling in a straight line. If this doesn't make it stop happening, something (gears or chain) may be damaged in the transfer case or your shifter linkage may be misadjusted.

Also - change fluid in the case recently? All you need is a 30mm wrench, pull the fill plug (halfway up the back) then the drain plug, put the drain plug back in, fill it up with ATF and you're done.

Back