• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long has your original waterpump lasted?

bewilderedbeast

NAXJA Forum User
And for kicks, what type of coolant have you been using?
Despite the hostility towards and reeports of bad stuff, I have used the Prestone 5/150 Extended Life orange DexCool clone stuff since I did the first flush and refill on my 96. Never had any issues, no leaks, no deposits, no nothing bad.
127,000 on the original pump and still fine so far.
Now that I said that, I'll probably go outside and find a puddle of coolant underneath my Jeep....

I've got 127,900+ on mine and have only used the green stuff. No leaks yet. I did replace the radiator with an all metal unit though. I've flushed it once 3 years after I got the XJ. I've been thinking of doing it this month again. It's actually overdue. They usually recommend to do it every 2 years with the green coolant.

MAP

Funny you should ask. Mine went out two days ago at 140K. I just passed the 140K mark this week, then the pump starts leaking. I used the basic 50/50 green stuff.

About 308,000, changed it in sept of 05, engine went in January 06, go figure.

mine 1995 lasted 109,000 and my mothers lasted 85,000 on a 2000 wj, kept up on maintnance on both. ?

Mine went out at about 112k. And I too, use the green stuff. Peaks or something I think?

mine went last weekend 2nd time in 11 months. used a aftermarket autozoner unit. nice thing is it was still under warrantee, hope the new one lasts longer, if not I will tell all of you to get other brands. usually have pretty good luck on aftermarket stuff though( excluding body parts, worked 18 yrs as a bodyman/painter and ALWAYS had to grind hammer, pound, drill:doh: aftermarkets to "fit") still it's an easy fix.......IF I hadn't just had right arm surgery 6 days before....just me and 3 (three) mechanically challenged girls 44, 13 and 11 soooo, I went at it with the speed of a crippled turtle. I did 99 percent of it but had my 13 year old( thanks Katie) help out with the bottom hose clamp. I just could not get my arm to twist that way. use the Zerox green 50/50. not a leak! But, now the a/c clutch is on the way out. hope the arm heal's fast 'cause in Florida a/c shops bend ya over 'cause they know you NEED the a/c

well I forgot to say how may miles it lasted I bought it with 85,000 miles on it with the original pump and at 149,000 it went out

I never buy a reman water pump, only new. Car Quest has a good line of products plus they don't keep bankers hours like napa does so I can stop at 6pm and pickup parts [or have them delivered to my buddies shop which is handy].
As for lifetime warranty does that also replace the two gallons of coolant and distilled water because frankly I don't reuse my coolant, no telling what got in there when the pump went bad and I have no intention of circulating parts of the old water pump in the new one.
Plus I have never found a neat way to recover all the old coolant cleanly, some crap always seems to get in there when I disconnect the lower hose or whatever. Just my take on it..

Last edited:
This may be obvious to many but maybe not to others. Just wanted to mention that if you adjust the serpentine belt to be too tight, you can easily shorten the life of all the bearings of all the items that get spun by the serpentine belt. Unfortunately these XJs don't have a spring loaded belt tensioner. You need to use a tool to make sure the tension is set correctly.

MAP

Back