• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS issue

hookie

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, on my '93 GC Laredo, for a long time i had a short across a fuse in the fuse box, and my abs for a very long time has been throwing up an error light. finally tracked down and fixed the short, but now my abs is acting up, but not throwing any codes. if i am moving about 15 mph or less breaking, the abs will freak out, slam on the breaks really hard, and then refuse to let up until i turned the jeep on and off a few times pumping the brake pedal. recently, i took it on the trail, and found that just travelling at speeds under 15mph will cause the ABS to freak out and slam on the brakes, even when i'm not touching the break. i couldn't find anything on this problem, what do you guys think?
any help is very appreciated.
thanks,
alex

Pull the fuse and drive without ABS? I pull the fuse for my ABS when I wheel...can't see why you can't do the same. Brakes should still work without ABS, but remember...this is only a temporary fix.

~Scott

Looking at your past posts, they are all about your Grand Cherokee... You do realize that this is a Cherokee (XJ) forum don't you? I'm sure there are other forums out there with users that would be much more familiar with problems related to your Grand.

If I had to guess, I'd say it sounds like an ABS sensor problem. If it is similar to the XJ set-up, you should check the clearance between your sensors and tone rings with a feeler gauge and make sure they are within the tolerances called for in the Grand Cherokee FSM.

the cables on the adjusters were sheared, parts were falling out, and the brake pads had huge cracks. i think when i had the short in there, it left my brakes on all the time and caused some serious damage

Back